Bending notes

PSolera

Blues Newbie
I'm struggling with bending notes without ringing the string or even three strings above. Muting them with my right palm doesn't always seem to work since I end up muting the note I'm trying to play. Any advice or tips?!

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I can only suggest that you keep practicing - from my experience, your brain and hands will work on co-operating to eliminate the spurious sounds. I've been working on bends for about 4 months, taking Griff's advice about palm-muting etc into mind, and I've been getting better and better at eliminating those noises without actually thinking about it too much. My big problem is getting the bends to the correct pitch.
During that period of time, my fret-hand has been getting stronger all the time, and now that I'm able to bend the string(s) more easily it's all getting less noisy. So I guess building up the strength of the hand and fingers also helps a lot.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Here's a video from a few years back that Griff did with Mary Schwartz. For what it's worth, it does start to come naturally after a while.