BBG before continuing with BGU?

blueshawk

Blues Newbie
I found Griff from his youtube spot for the four note solo. I was impressed and ordered Blues Guitar Unleashed. I did not know about the BBG course until I logged onto the forum.

I am now through lesson 4 on BGU and am learning a lot. While I am certainly a beginner, I am not struggling with BGU and feel I can complete the course successfully and be a better guitar player.

That said though, I am wondering whether I need to back up and order the BBG course before going much further with BGU. I don't want gaps in my education and if there is stuff in BBG that I need, I want to go that route.

My question is whether I will be missing important lessons if I go forward with BGU and not go back to BBG first. Thanks for the input.

rusty62196

Blues Lover
I can only speak for myself. I started out with BGU; then I went back and started BBG. I am now pretty far along with BBG. It was a great decision for me. I would have sold myself short in the long run.

gdiddy

Blues Newbie
Hi Glennm ... I did the exact same as you ... ordered BGU (too challenging) and then ordered BBG (which I'm working trough now). BBG is still quite challenging for me but I try to practice someting from it every day. (I have other books on the go too ... Hall Leonard Complete and Learn and Mater Guitar.
I'm sure I'm getting better, but it takes me time ... BUT, I'm enjoying it greatly!
gdiddy

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I had been playing chords for over 45 years when BGU came out. I got part way through BGU and doing ok when  BBG came out. I want back and did BBG. I found it very easy, but still learned a few things. Do you absolutely NEED to? No. But if you are having trouble making chord change quickly and cleanly, then it might help. As a side benefit you kind of, almost learn parts of several familiar songs.

blueshawk

Blues Newbie
thanks to everyone for the input. I have ordered BBG and it is on the way. I will keep picking at BGU until BBG arrives. I am sure I will be back with more questions as things go along.
thanks again
glenn

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I thought I was alone in my thinking of ordering BBG, I am glad I am not.  After reading the above, I ordered BBG last evening. :D

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
I ordered BBG and ABGU and have found that they are a great one-two punch for really learning how to play guitar.  Gets you into SRV territory quicker than any other method.  You know........that chording/lead intersperions that Stevie did so well.

The Strumming and Rhythm Mastery course is helping greatly too. 

To be honest, those 3 courses when taken and used together are a fabulous way to learn guitar.

L

Lorechan

Another one that ordered  BGU, started it, then ordered BBG.  BGU was tough for me on lesson 1, although I know most cords in the 1 position.  My old hand just don't stretch that much for Lesson 1 BGU, but hopefully BBG will assist me in progressing.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I did BBG first and I have to say that when I started BGU, the transition was seamless.  BGU start right where BBG leaves off.

L

Lorechan

Update:  Took new Amer Spec Strat to local guitar  center, lowered action, made stuff a LOT easier.

blueshawk

Blues Newbie
One of these days it will pay you to learn a little guitar tech stuff yourself. things like setting string height (action), pickup height, intonation and truss rod adjustment (seldom needed) are really simple stuff that you can do with a few simple tools. this allows you the freedom to tweak your guitar to exactly where you want it. It also allows you to make adjustments in the event that things like change in humidity, etc., throw things out of whack.

I don't suggest learning to do these things on your front-line guitar. If you have an old banger that you can afford to fool around with, it is worth the effort.

there are some pretty good posts on youtube re how to do this stuff if you are interested.

glenn

L

Lorechan

One of these days it will pay you to learn a little guitar tech stuff yourself. things like setting string height (action), pickup height, intonation and truss rod adjustment (seldom needed) are really simple stuff that you can do with a few simple tools. this allows you the freedom to tweak your guitar to exactly where you want it. It also allows you to make adjustments in the event that things like change in humidity, etc., throw things out of whack.

I don't suggest learning to do these things on your front-line guitar. If you have an old banger that you can afford to fool around with, it is worth the effort.

there are some pretty good posts on youtube re how to do this stuff if you are interested.

glenn
Thanks for this Glenn, but at the local Guitar Center I wear my VietNam Veteran cap, and they take pity on me and don't charge.  Gotta love Las Vegas.

blueshawk

Blues Newbie
WHOA!!!!! hey. I'm a Nam vet too. welcome home!! I was there 70-71, I Corps. Glad there is another wacked out Vietnam Vet on the site. What branch of service were you?

And, the guitar tech suggestion was because I have gotten into it and enjoy tinkering with guitars almost as much as I love playing them. It is convenient to know how to do a tweak whenever you want without having to run downtown to get help.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
106th Out of Brooklyn, NY.  FANG if you know what I mean.  Was in for 40 years, 22 years active, retired an E8 Jun 2007.

blueshawk

Blues Newbie
Not familiar with FANG, but guess it is an acronym ending with National Guard. Was mostly a grunt myself except for a few months when I flew in LOH helicopters as an aerial observer. We always enjoyed looking up at you guys and making envious remarks about "freedom birds".

asus25

Blues Newbie
Thank you all for the posts. This is exactly where I am.
I got hooked with the play 4 solo notes. Ordered BGU. I marked beginner (because I am) on the little survey when I ordered and I started receiving mini BBG essons to get me started via email until BGU arrived.
As I followed through with the mini video lessons I began questioning if I needed or would benefit from BBG. The mini lessons were quite valuable to me.
Now I feel I would be remiss in establishing a quality foundation to build on for BGU if I didn't do BBG first.

Thanks again to you all!  :cool: