Bass guitar question

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Some may know that I now have a bass guitar and am taking Steve Araujo's course. The course is perfect for getting started BTW. My question relates to the picking hand. In the drills he stresses alternating between the index and middle fingers. That's not as easy as it sounds, for me at least. I've been watching bass players and notice that they don't necessarily do that all the time, including Steve. So I'm going to continue to concentrate on that, but should you go with your tendencies later on? It seems logical that alternating would be critical for faster tempos, but not so much for slower tempos. I know we have a lot of bass players here who may have an opinion, including @Griff. Thanks!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have never been able to master that technique and I'm jealous of people who have. It works for me as long as I consciously think about it, but as soon as I try to go on automatic pilot, I find my fingers not continuing the pattern. What I've been most comfortable doing is playing with thumb, index and middle finger, like finger picking on a 6 string. I've seen people play strictly plucking, finger pick style, slap, and with a pick. The one thing I have found about plucking using the two fingers is it seems much easier to keep a consistent volume level when playing in that style. I've spent more practice time attempting to get my brain and fingers to do that than any other bass technique. When I played as a youngun, I always played with a pick, so it wasn't something I would have picked up way back when...

It seems to me to be, as Griff refers to it, "your guitar DNA."

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
When you practice, yes try to alternate and keep it even and consistent. However, when you're playing music, do what works... that's kind of what we all do.

That being said, there are times when I do something "wrong" because it feels natural, only to later realize that had I spent a little time to get it "right" it would have been easier or more efficient or sounds better in some other way.

So don't give up on the "right" way immediately, do give it the old college try.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
When you practice, yes try to alternate and keep it even and consistent. However, when you're playing music, do what works... that's kind of what we all do.

That being said, there are times when I do something "wrong" because it feels natural, only to later realize that had I spent a little time to get it "right" it would have been easier or more efficient or sounds better in some other way.

So don't give up on the "right" way immediately, do give it the old college try.
Thanks for chiming in! (y)

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
but as soon as I try to go on automatic pilot, I find my fingers not continuing the pattern.
Bingo! It seems like when I concentrate on what my left hand is doing, my right hand forgets to alternate. I'll take Griff's advice and continue to do it the right way during practice and see what happens down the road. :Beer:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Hope it works for you.(y) I have just started a course with a girl called Ryan Madora on Truefire, and I'm having the exact same problem.:ROFLMAO: Stick in there, it'll be worth it.(y)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm okay with the middle and index, but not necessarily proficient in strictly alternating between the two, especially when playing repetitive notes on the same string

david moon

Attempting the Blues
As most of you know, I have been playing bass for a LONG time. I never could get the thumb slap/pop thing down. Just use the index and middle.

Just like alternate picking on guitar is something to strive for, with the two fingers of different length, it may not always be the best approach when there is a string crossing. Try diffferent approaches and what seems awkward initially may be the best.

Elwood

Blues
Just use the index and middle.
right on David! When I was playing bass my thumb was mainly for holding a felt pick if my fingers were really wrecked. I never have developed a taste for slap bass. Don't really care for the style (I know there are amazing players) and I would be interested to see how a bass holds up with that usage. And what you said about alternate picking, I think that is more of a concept than rigid application also.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Over the course of what little bass playing I’ve done I’ve discovered my middle finger is my dominant one for plucking notes, and I add in the index to taste but according to no set pattern—just whenever it feels right. On the UBass I sometimes also use my thumb, whereas on the short scale the thumb tends to stay anchored.

I haven’t really given much thought to which fingers, it’s just been evolving as I go.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
There are several styles used by the right hand in playing the bass, as has been mentioned. In regards to index and middle fingers that is my preference for the bass, as I learned classical and flamenco guitar in Spanish (indice y medio or IM) so it seems natural. Part of the issue may be the angle of your right hand in relation to the strings. Some people like to "float the right hand", that is to use the IM without, support and others use the thumb against the guitar top to stabilize the right hand to aid support. Find what works best for you. :) If you go to a teacher the odds are that that teacher will tell you there is only one way to do it! But my I suggest that is not true? :confused: Also, you have to practice using IM and do not be surprised if you "miss" a string or two every once in a while. :rolleyes:

Tom

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues

I just got a bass, is this the course you recomend ?