Barre chords

G

gary3931

Into lesson #4 but not well versed on barre chords. I'm having trouble with the b string while barring. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary :-?

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
The video is good but I have had the same problem when learning "straight down 6th ave.  It seems tyhat the B string can annoyingly find a fold in the skin of my first finger and not get a firm contact with the fret.  I tried all different position including laying my finger on its side as I have prominent knuckle joints.  In the end with more practice and my muscles getting comfortable with the position it came down to experimenting with  how far the tip of my finger overhung the 6th  string, which of course placed the fold of my finger accordingly.  Getting this right got the B string away from the fold in my finger and gave firm contact.  See if it works fo you.

:cool:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Barre chords are a rite of passage for us all. It just takes time, and really not that much time at all. Just keep at it and before you know it you will be wondering what the fuss was all about.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Gary W.
Pay attention to Rocky's post. That's almost exactly what I was going to post. It doesn't matter how strong your hand is. The size and length of your finger will determine where you plant it and if you have to roll it. I have to roll my finger a bit as well. Once you "get a grip" on how to do it, you may need to take a trip to your guitar shop, too. I find that a different neck radius can make the whole difference. Last year, I had a Yamaha that had a 14 inch neck. For the life of me, I couldn't barre chord that guitar for nothin'. One night I got completely frustrated and switched to my Greg Bennett Fastback with a 12 inch radius, and it was like a different person took over my body. My chords instantly rang out clear. Once I got a little used to it, I started screwing them up a little. I had to slow down and back track to examine how I was actually holding the guitar. Then, all was good.  :) Oh and then, practice, practice, and practice some more. Did I mention practicing?
I can tell you that in my case, I follow these lessons to the letter. I have finished BBG and am currently in ABGU. I have limited time, so I focus on these lessons. I can honestly tell you I'll have to look over the barre chord charts again before I can play them again. Next time around though, wont' be so hard because it will just be a reminder.
OK. Enough rambling. Hope I helped at least a little.  :-X

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Follow Rocky’s advice as it really helps.  Another factor is the placement of the barre finger.  Try placing it close to the fret and not in the middle between frets, etc.  and always use the same placement regardless of which fret you are using. 

Tom

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I'm working on bbg barre chords now and managed to have a couple of aha! moments.  With respect to the B string problem, I realized that I had been extending my index finger as far as possible to bar the strings. By extending it more minimally (so the finger tip just lines up with the low E) I found I could get a bit more leverage and even pressure on the strings and it gives my other fingers more room to work with. Of course,  after figuring that out I reread Rocky's post and saw that was what he was suggesting as well.

The other idea was a simple suggestion from a friend of mine who is a professional jazz guitar player. He suggested always using a strap (even while sitting)  positioned to keep the neck rather high.  For me this made a big difference since keeping the neck steady means I don't have to keep adjusting my hand position to a moving fretboard or keep trying  to support the neck. Using the strap basically removes the distraction and makes it easier to concentrate on the chord.

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
Good second point Elio.  Years ago when i was working away in Cumbria and living in a caravan I tried to teach myself some classical guitar.  To get at the strings correctly I used a strap and had the guitar positioned at quite a high angle.  It made the reach much easier and eliminated one problem.  I don't do it as much with electric as I am thinking it won't feel the same when standing with the guitar hung round my neck.

Cheers
:cool: