Barre Chords

Steve_M

Blues Newbie
Thanks for that LP.....it did cross my mind that it may be the creases/joints etc and I will double check later. I will also look at my ring finger to see if its behaving itself and try rolling my index finger towards the head. Hopefully that may do the trick.
Thanks,

Steve

M

MandyC

I think you're right LP. I think it may be a combination of both, the crease of your index finger lines up and also its hard not to bend your index finger a little along with the other fingers when you change the chord shape.
Does anyone else have problems playing barres up on the 10th fret - it seems to get more difficult as it gets further up the fretboard?
I guess here its because its less easy to get your arm under the guitar and also the frets are closer together making it more likely to mute something by mistake.
Any tips?

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Oh yeah, barres on the 10th fret are tough. My fingers overlap both frets on the 12th and you really have to squish them in there. It's even harder on the 5th string barre lesson playing the g minor up on the 10th fret.
    I'm pretty sure that this is for practice though and to master the art of playing up and down the fret board, which I had never done before this lesson. I doubt in any of your actual playing you'll play barres like that on the 10th fret because there are so many other easier options.

L

Lame_Pinky

I use to be able to do this quite well a long time ago ; when playing barre high up the neck - just about anything further than the 8th fret - I use to make a min bar with my ring finger to cover the 4th & 5th strings.At the moment I haven't quite  got the bend in my finger back like that so the 3rd string gets muted however, i think within a few months I'll be able to do it again without any major difficulty.
Just practising/playing  'A' shaped barre chords helps get that bend going in your finger.

LP

M

MandyC

I use to be able to do this quite well a long time ago ; when playing barre high up the neck - just about anything further than the 8th fret - I use to make a min bar with my ring finger to cover the 4th & 5th strings.At the moment I haven't quite  got the bend in my finger back like that so the 3rd string gets muted however, i think within a few months I'll be able to do it again without any major difficulty.
Just practising/playing  'A' shaped barre chords helps get that bend going in your finger.

LP
Think I'll try that mini-barre, Been playing with the 5th string barres as well and seem to have the hallowed bendy fingers so I might as well make use of them :)