Barre Chords on the 5th String

Z

zeuspax

When creating barre chords on 5th string, is it OK if I still barre all 6 strings as long as I don't hit the 6th string with my pick?  I find it very difficult to only barre the first 5 strings, but do not want to develop a bad habit if it is going to hurt me down the road.  Thanks, Jim  PS  This is the first time on this forum so I hope that I am asking this question in the right spot

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
When creating barre chords on 5th string, is it OK if I still barre all 6 strings as long as I don't hit the 6th string with my pick?  I find it very difficult to only barre the first 5 strings, but do not want to develop a bad habit if it is going to hurt me down the road.  Thanks, Jim  PS  This is the first time on this forum so I hope that I am asking this question in the right spot
Jim... this is exactly the kind of place to ask that and it's a great question.

Ideally, your fingertip will touch the 6th string, but not push on it. That's the best case scenario.

If your finger extends from the 5th string and actually pushes on the 6th string you will get a little ringing once in a while, even if your pick doesn't hit it. The sympathetic vibrations from the rest of the guitar will make it vibrate.

That being said, this is NOT something to worry that much about. When you play, don't stress about whether or not your finger is in the right place... just listen to what you hear. If it sounds okay then you're in good shape. If you hear noises that don't belong, then you could suspect that 6th string ringing out.