Back-Cycling

ScottMiller

Blues Newbie
In lesson12 Griff talks about back-cycling and says it is moving to the I chord via the ii and V chords. Very cool!

The score for the lesson looks to be in the key of G and he says in the video that measure 4 is an example of back-cycling but the chords are V, I, IV (Dm, G, C)? The chord progression sounds great but what am I missing here?

It looks to me that measures 9 and 10 are where the back-cycling takes place ii, V, I (Am, D, G). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ScottMiller

Blues Newbie
Oh I think I see the answer to my question in the text for lesson 12. It says that "Back-cycling is simply taking any chord, and in the bar before that chord, you play the ii and V of that chord." I now see you don't have to back-cycle only the I chord but you can back-cycle any chord in the song including the IV as in this lesson.

BTW I see I goofed up and put this in the "BGU lessons 6-10" section so could a moderator move this to the correct section of the forum?

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Good that you figured out the answer. In keeping with the convention of using lower case for minor, in your second paragraph you could say v, I, IV. The second chord in the group is often a dom7 chord, which "wants" to resolve to the third chord. So G7 to D and D7 to G