B7 Problems

BignJames

Blues Newbie
jlosee, I'm not sure this will help on your B7, but it helped me with a CMaj7 I was having problems with. Griff suggested holding the neck closer to your head. It makes it easier to get your fingers into position. hang in there, it WILL come. Let me know if this helps.
Mike

I found that technique very helpful....especially on lesson 12 in BGU

and I used to hate all B chords.

Tim

Blues Newbie
With chords that give me trouble I like to move from one chord to another very slowly. For example move from E7 to B7 very slowly. Watch your fingers to determine the correct path. Most of the time there is a finger that can act as an anchor or lead finger. Plant it first then the rest of the fingers.

Go back and forth from one chord to another then introduce the A7.

I promise you sometime in the future you will not even remember that you had difficulty with this (these) chords.

Enjoy the journey.

Tim

D

davemoss

James, it took me over a year to get close to playing B7 in a progression. As others have said, just keep at it, but I think practicing it in an otherwise easy song is a good idea. It certainly worked for me. Try Eddie Cochrane's "Summertime Blues" which uses E, A and...... B7. The chord changes are pretty quick but you can gradually build up the speed. It worked for me, but I love the song as it was the first record I ever bought - a second hand 78 when I was 9 years old.

J

jlosee

Thanks again folks for the advise. I'm hitting B7 quite regular now. It's much improved! C7 is the next challenge although it too is improving. Part of my warmup routine is to set a timer for 6 minutes and play my chords back to back, changing the chord patterns as I go. This has helped me greatly. Also for C7, I concentrate on playing a C, then let the pinky finger fall into place. With practice the C7 is ringing out much more often now. I'm sure it's all mental, but I find this works for me. Another victory!! Wooohooo!

johnc

systematic
Well unfortunately you have to get very used to it because it is among the most popular fingerings of a 7th chord.  Just take note that the open B7 and C7 are more or less the same shape just moved one fret.  The open B7 often adds the 5th back in where it is absent from the C7.  In saying that it is not necessary to play the 5th ::)

L

Lame_Pinky

I have always liked the sound of the C7 shaped chord but have also always had a problem changing to it from a bar chord.When I originally played even towards the end I had been playing maybe 7-8 years I still had problems.I know I will always have those problems I just have to live with it.

LP

johnc

systematic
I have always liked the sound of the C7 shaped chord but have also always had a problem changing to it from a bar chord.When I originally played even towards the end I had been playing maybe 7-8 years I still had problems.I know I will always have those problems I just have to live with it.

LP

The thing is LP, work on the things you have difficulty with.  Every chance you get use that moveable C7 shape rather than ones you are comfortable with.  It is a nice way to play the chord and needs to become second nature to use it.
I need to follow my own advice, because I favour the A form too much.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I've actually gotten half way decent at the chord. Mostly because I really like the sound of the chord over the Barre chord.  It just takes continual practice.

M

Murr

That is the culprit I'm having problems with too. Can not personally help you with it except, persevere, it will come together. Thanks to all the ppl who have given their insite on this subject. Greatly appreciated. Stick with it James.....PS. I'm a absolute beginner also.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
I think the hardest thing for beginners with courses is to understand it's okay to move on. Things take time, and for me at least they take A LOT of time. It took me 6 months to play an F, and about 4 to get the B7 going smoothly. I can't imagine where I'd be if I just sat and practiced those over and over without moving on. The funny thing is, the more you work on other things, the easier it is when you go back to it. Congrats on getting it!!

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
As a beginner I found that it helped me when I needed to learn the B7 I had a lot of buzzing and damped strings at first. I usually play while seated. For some reason I decided to stand while doing the blues progression on page 21 of the course (CD track12). In a very short time I was able to play the B7. It was just the change of position. I can now play it in my usual sitting position. I hope this may help other beginners. :)

J

justinlc2003

what type of guitar are you playing with I had the same problem when I started. I was using a strat it was to thin for me so I traded up for a PRS SE ( made in korea) used and affordable with a wide fat neck to counter my fat fingers been doing great since however barres are a little bit tougher with it.

henryj

Blues Newbie
I have found with practice my fingers are developing some muscle tone and dexterity.  I can now grab the cords more perpendicular to the strings than when I first started.  I still have a long way to go but I have improved immensely from day one and get better every day. My thought is not to worry too much, just keep playing and it will come in time.  

M

Murr

I am also getting better at chording B7 smoothly. It was a growling challenge but is becoming easier. Peace Out and Stay Cool. :cool: