August technique request some drills help for Oye Como Va

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I was busy and bad in July and skipped the all access sessions but I am hoping to do better in August. Anway here is my request.

I am starting work on Oye Como Va the original by Santana aka Abraxas. I have the rythm chord changes pretty good so no questions for me on that or even the timing on those ( but if you wanted to cover that for other people that would be more than cool ).

So i'm working on some of the riffs and solos. It's Dorian mostly.

This is a really good song for me to work on along with solos for Thrill is Gone and Sweet Home Chicago.

But Griff I am looking for some suggestions on some finger drills to help with some of the slick Santana moves.

Particularly ones hitting 3 out of 4 adjacent frets. The first trademark one is on high E string ... A A A B C slide to D ... then some parts B hammer to C back to B back to A etc.

I know you probably have drills for these type moves in various courses ( probably speed building blocks ) but if you could maybe throw in 2 or 3 demos on drills to work on for this song specifically it would be very nice. A slide drill or two also maybe for the song?

Or well cover as much of Oye Como Va as you feel like ha ha dang do the whole thing if you want to?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I was busy and bad in July and skipped the all access sessions but I am hoping to do better in August. Anway here is my request.

I am starting work on Oye Como Va the original by Santana aka Abraxas. I have the rythm chord changes pretty good so no questions for me on that or even the timing on those ( but if you wanted to cover that for other people that would be more than cool ).

So i'm working on some of the riffs and solos. It's Dorian mostly.

This is a really good song for me to work on along with solos for Thrill is Gone and Sweet Home Chicago.

But Griff I am looking for some suggestions on some finger drills to help with some of the slick Santana moves.

Particularly ones hitting 3 out of 4 adjacent frets. The first trademark one is on high E string ... A A A B C slide to D ... then some parts B hammer to C back to B back to A etc.

I know you probably have drills for these type moves in various courses ( probably speed building blocks ) but if you could maybe throw in 2 or 3 demos on drills to work on for this song specifically it would be very nice. A slide drill or two also maybe for the song?

Or well cover as much of Oye Como Va as you feel like ha ha dang do the whole thing if you want to?

A A A B C slide to D ...
FWIW That's not how I'd play it.
I'd play the A on the B string 10th fret 10 10 10 12 13 then the last note on the high e at the 10th fret. Much easier fingering.