Audio Levels

Yvonne01

KeenBluesWoman
Does anyone knows how to raise the audio level on my recording for FixIts? I use a Multimix4 to plug guitar into my computer and use Song Surgeon basic record prog to play into, record and then save it. Even though the sound levels are up at a reasonable volume during recording and on my playback, after loading up to Dropbox the volume is very low when Griff opens the file. What am I doing wrong??

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think (And think is the operative word here), that you need to increase the level at the very start. Increase the volume on the guitar and/or the Multimix4. If it's too loud in your room, lower the headphone/speaker volume in the room, but not the input volume from the guitar.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
@Yvonne01 ,

Although I have no experience with Song Surgeon, I'm guessing the problem is how Song Surgeon
is interacting with your computer sound settings.

Generally speaking , getting good recording levels is all about "gain staging".
In many situations, like yours, there are several stages along the signal path that adjust the volume (gain).

In your situation the signal path looks like this:
- Guitar Volume > Mixer Input > Mixer Main Out > Computer Record Settings > Song Surgeon.
At each of those stages, the volume can be adjusted, so getting that correct is important.

It appears that the record level in Song Surgeon is managed by your computer's sound settings.
Consequently, there could be a difference between what you hear from the mixer and what is going into the recording program.

The answer to this question may help determine the cause of the problem.
How are you monitoring your recording?

Are you listening thru headphones or speakers plugged into the mixer?
The level coming out of the mixer may sound fine but.....the level being recorded into SS may not be high enough.

If you are listening thru the mixer now, I suggest try listening thru the computer.
Plug your headphones into the computer instead of the mixer.
This may reveal that the record level going into Song Surgeon is too low.

So, my recommendation is as follows:

-Make sure you have good signal level coming in and out out of the mixer.
-Make appropriate record level adjustments within the computer sound settings as described in this video:

Last edited:

Yvonne01

KeenBluesWoman
@Yvonne01 ,

Although I have no experience with Song Surgeon, I'm guessing the problem is how Song Surgeon
is interacting with your computer sound settings.

Generally speaking , getting good recording levels is all about "gain staging".
In many situations, like yours, there are several stages along the signal path that adjust the volume (gain).

In your situation the signal path looks like this:
- Guitar Volume > Mixer Input > Mixer Main Out > Computer Record Settings > Song Surgeon.
At each of those stages, the volume can be adjusted, so getting that correct is important.

It appears that the record level in Song Surgeon is managed by your computer's sound settings.
Consequently, there could be a difference between what you hear from the mixer and what is going into the recording program.

The answer to this question may help determine the cause of the problem.
How are you monitoring your recording?

Are you listening thru headphones or speakers plugged into the mixer?
The level coming out of the mixer may sound fine but.....the level being recorded into SS may not be high enough.

If you are listening thru the mixer now, I suggest try listening thru the computer.
Plug your headphones into the computer instead of the mixer.
This may reveal that the record level going into Song Surgeon is too low.

So, my recommendation is as follows:

-Make sure you have good signal level coming in and out out of the mixer.
-Make appropriate record level adjustments within the computer sound settings as described in this video:

@CaptainMoto
Wow! Thank you so much for some great info. I'm shall watch the video, try out your suggestions and report back. .