Are you going to any Blues Festivals this summer?

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
My daughter bought me tickets to the 3 day Edmonton Blues Festival. Looking forward to Robert Cray on Friday night, Mississippi Heat and Jim Byrnes on Saturday, and Fathead and Mavis Staples on Sunday.

Hopefully I'll score tickets to an intimate club date with Watermelon Slim coming in October too.

So, what festivals of blues are you going to and who has you excited?

[smiley=beer.gif]

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
I only have tickets to one actual "festival" (multi-day event) - the Phases of The Moon less than five miles from my house in mid-September.  The complete roster is here: http://phasesofthemoonfestival.com/lineup/musical-artists/ - but I'm looking forward to seeing Tedeschi/Trucks, Gov't Mule, Leon Russell, Chris Robinson, and Robert Randolph. the most.

In August I also have tickets in hand to...
August 1st - Eric Johnson
August 13th - Kenny Wayne Shepherd
August 20th - Deep Purple and ELO
August 23rd - Keb' Mo'

Kevin

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
KEVIN & KEVIN:..Talk about line ups...WOW.... "THEM SOME HARD ACTS TO FOLLOW"..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:...wish I was able to be their for both of them...enjoy as I know you will....<bcb>.. in the middle of "NOWHERE ARIZONA".

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
KEVIN & KEVIN:..Talk about line ups...WOW.... "THEM SOME HARD ACTS TO FOLLOW"..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:...wish I was able to be their for both of them...enjoy as I know you will....<bcb>.. in the middle of "NOWHERE ARIZONA".

Dave,

I'm in the middle of "Nowhere Illinois Cornfields", so the closest one of above (OK, not counting the one in my back yard) is an hour and a half one way - the farthest is three hours.  Gotta do whatcha gotta do to see good music! :)

Kevin

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
5 miles from your house?????  Remember I was raised in Southern Indiana (RICHMOND)....I almost wish I could see some cornfields (notice I said "almost"<grin>" I will have to send you some pics of what "tumble weeds" looks like..and maybe some "RATTLE SNAKES"....the best part of RATTLE SNAKES is....if you can get 4 or 5 nice rattlers then put there rattlers inside your acoustic it"s Suppose to open up the grain of the wood.and give more resonation&sustain..at least that is what the old timers tell me..."NO I AM NOT GOING TO GO LOOKING FOR RATTLE SNAKE TAILS FOR YOU"  but if I happen to run across a few when I am out prospecting I will do what I got to do....but I ain't going hunting....(bcb)

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I was planning on going to Phases of the Moon...until I found out how much it costs. Then I had sticker shock. I went to the Ragged Roots festival a couple of weeks ago (our second year in a row). We had free tickets because we have friends in a couple of the bands that play out there. We got to camp with all the musicians It was a great time. For those not familiar, it's mostly Wisconsin musicians and mainly from the I90 corridor. Not blues, but I saw some phenomenal musicians there last year and this year. Great stuff.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
I was planning on going to Phases of the Moon...until I found out how much it costs. Then I had sticker shock. I went to the Ragged Roots festival a couple of weeks ago (our second year in a row). We had free tickets because we have friends in a couple of the bands that play out there. We got to camp with all the musicians It was a great time. For those not familiar, it's mostly Wisconsin musicians and mainly from the I90 corridor. Not blues, but I saw some phenomenal musicians there last year and this year. Great stuff.

Brent, when you factor in the free beer and "jamming at kestrou's signed guitar emporium" - an offer only available to members of BGU, by the way - then it's a bargain! :)

Kevin

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Our band has been kicking around going to Friday & Saturday of Lockn' Music Fest, I would love to catch Steve Winwood sitting in with Widespread Panic, and Tdeschi Trucks Band lots of great bands playing at this one

http://www.locknfestival.com/

Carlos

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Brent, when you factor in the free beer and "jamming at kestrou's signed guitar emporium" - an offer only available to members of BGU, by the way - then it's a bargain! :)

Kevin

I agree, Kevin that's quite a bargain. A Ferrari may be a great bargain for a 12 cylinder supercar, but I can't afford one of those either. LOL.  Maybe I could come out just for the jam at the Kestrou's signed guitar emporium and the free beer.  :D

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
KWS next week and Gary Clark Jr and Tedeschi/Trucks in November!!

I'm going to TTB with Gary Clark at the Greek Theater, Nov. 1.  Is that the one you're going to?

Also, have the Walter Trout Band (with his son Jon) next week, Experience Hendrix event in October, Tab Benoit in September, the Orange County Blues Festival in September and some other local events.  By far the most I've been to in many years.
  :)

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
KWS next week and Gary Clark Jr and Tedeschi/Trucks in November!!

I'm going to TTB with Gary Clark at the Greek Theater, Nov. 1.  Is that the one you're going to?

Also, have the Walter Trout Band (with his son Jon) next week, Experience Hendrix event in October, Tab Benoit in September, the Orange County Blues Festival in September and some other local events.  By far the most I've been to in many years.
  :)

You gotta link for the Orange County Blues Fest? I can't seem to find a listing for it. Who's playing?

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
You gotta link for the Orange County Blues Fest? I can't seem to find a listing for it. Who's playing?

It sounds bigger than it is.  Mostly all local groups, no big names.  Go to Orange County Blues Society on Facebook and you'll see it.

The big blues festival around here is the Doheny Blues Festival, that I went to in May.

dougbriney

Blues Newbie

It sounds bigger than it is.  Mostly all local groups, no big names.  Go to Orange County Blues Society on Facebook and you'll see it.

The big blues festival around here is the Doheny Blues Festival, that I went to in May.

Hey Mike,
I went to the OCBS site and didn't see the festival anymore? At one point Merv was talking to Papa J about the JJP's being on the bill. ? :-/

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Hey Mike,
I went to the OCBS site and didn't see the festival anymore? At one point Merv was talking to Papa J about the JJP's being on the bill. ? :-/

It's on their Facebook page.  Right now, they've got Papermoon Gypsys (Kenny Williams band), Kingtime (Richard from the OCBP) and the Chase Walker Band (who PapaJ seems to always be playing with) listed.

deejaid

Blues Junior
Well just 2 weeks ago I was online looking at tickets for Rock n Blues Fest in San Jose.  For $125 extra, you could get backstage meet and greet with Johnny Winter, a signed copy of his new album and other goodies.  I was waiting to hear back from a buddy about his availability for the show, and Johnny dies :'(. 

They are still holding the show as a tribute to Johnny, but I won't be going.  He was my guy.

RIP Johnny

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
Well just 2 weeks ago I was online looking at tickets for Rock n Blues Fest in San Jose.  For $125 extra, you could get backstage meet and greet with Johnny Winter, a signed copy of his new album and other goodies.  I was waiting to hear back from a buddy about his availability for the show, and Johnny dies :'(. 

They are still holding the show as a tribute to Johnny, but I won't be going.  He was my guy.

RIP Johnny

you should still go man

deejaid

Blues Junior
It was gonna be real hard to go even if Johnny was still alive and playing.  We are in the process of moving, and what is now a 45 minute drive to San Jose will be 2 hours from our new place. 

I'll throw on a Johnny Winter concert DVD that day and make my girls watch it instead of cartoons  ;D

The funny thing is, I saw him in Sacramento in 2011 and was front row center, but never saw the Firebird. 

A fight broke out over near the bar where my wife had grabbed a seat.  I went barreling through the crowd over to her and make sure she didn't get hit by these two drunken buffoons.

Needless to say, I lost my spot in front of the stage and it was late, we still had a 2 hour drive home, so we decided to split before he brought out the Firebird for the encore.  It was a night I'll never forget though!