Are all VJR files created equal?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I noticed that your recent contribution was an m4a (Apple Lossless) file you created in GarageBand.

I think this is the first non-mp3 file I've seen.

Everybody else uploads mp3's to their sharing site of choice. Most use DropBox

You should be able to import any downloaded mp3 into GarageBand. o_O

If a posted link has the www. changed to dl., "control clicking" the link will open the "Save link" menu and you can download the track directly.

Just clicking the link opens up a player that will play it.

However, when a link is posted without changing the www. to dl., the same procedure only saves the link (html.), not the audio track.

Just clicking the link takes you to the DropBox site and you download it from there.

Same if its posted from GoogleDrive.

Once you've downloaded an actual track you should be able to import it into GarageBand.

Be sure you've saved an actual audio file (mp3) not just a link (html).

Other than that, @jmin is the expert on GarageBand. :)

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I noticed that your recent contribution was an m4a (Apple Lossless) file you created in GarageBand.
The ".m4a" suffix does not imply a lossless format. In fact most m4a files use the lossy AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) format. However, the suffix can also be applied to recordings made using ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec). Compression on m4a files is comparable to mp3. The m4a suffix is primarily seen on audio files saved using Apple products, but is not exclusive to Apple.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Just stating the facts. He created an Apple Lossless .m4a in GarageBand.

I only mention it because if I was the next contributor in line I wouldn't be able to use this file in Audacity.

Regardless of the files he's exporting, all downloaded mp3's from other members should be able to be uploaded to GarageBand.

I can't see any reason why some mp3's would upload and some wouldn't.

Last edited:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes

I think this is the first non-mp3 file I've seen.

Everybody else uploads mp3's to their sharing site of choice. Most use DropBox

You should be able to import any downloaded mp3 into GarageBand. o_O

If a posted link has the www. changed to dl., "control clicking" the link will open the "Save link" menu and you can download the track directly.

However, when a link is posted without changing the www. to dl., the same procedure only saves the link (html.), not the audio track.

Just clicking the link takes you to the DropBox site and you download it from there.

Same if its posted from GoogleDrive.

Once you've downloaded an actual track you should be able to import it into GarageBand.

Be sure you've saved an actual audio file (mp3) not just a link (html).

Other than that, @jmin is the expert on GarageBand. :)
Thanks Paleo. I'll look into that. Right now I couldn't tell you how I got the link to the forum exactly, but I did use DropBox. It was basically try this or that until something worked. I assume it will get easier when I actually know what I'm doing. (n)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
When you "Control Click" a link and the "Save Link As...." comes up a "Format" pull down menu shows up near the bottom.

Be sure it's "MP3 audio" not "HTML".

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I've been putting the VJR files into Finder on my MacBook
I have a folder on the Desktop of my MacBook for VJR files.

All these files have an .mp3 suffix.

They may not have been "created equal" but they should all behave equally in GarageBand. :)

Last edited:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
When you "Control Click" a link and the "Save Link As...." comes up a "Format" pull down menu shows up near the bottom.

Be sure it's "MP3 audio" not "HTML".
I may have solved it. When sharing the file from Garageband it gives me 4 options. AAC. MP3. AIFF. WAVE. I did a couple of test cases it shows up on the forum as MP3. We'll see. Thanks for the help. I should note that when I click on the "save link as" I don't see a Format pull down menu. Thanks for the help.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
...Other than that, @jmin is the expert on GarageBand. :)

Whoa, Pardner, expert?!...I ain't expert at anything. I have used garageband since starting with BGU - first on an iPad, now on the MAC. I've only spent enough time with GB so that I could record lessons, and do VJR stuff. But, I'm more than happy to share whatever limited knowledge I have with anyone who needs it - even Tommy!

I think the you guys have it figured out and TTT will be up and jamming in no time!

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Whoa, Pardner, expert?!...I ain't expert at anything. I have used garageband since starting with BGU - first on an iPad, now on the MAC. I've only spent enough time with GB so that I could record lessons, and do VJR stuff. But, I'm more than happy to share whatever limited knowledge I have with anyone who needs it - even Tommy!

I think the you guys have it figured out and TTT will be up and jamming in no time!
Thanks for helping out. I also got some advice from @ChrisGSP. (y):Beer:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
When I Control Click (right click) on a VJR link to download, I get the following:

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 3.31.50 PM.png

and then...

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 3.59.50 PM.png

There is no option for the MP3 format when saving the file.

When finished recording, and ready to Share the file, the "Export Song to Disk..." dialogue box gives the option for MP3.

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 3.37.46 PM.png

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist

Hmm...

I've always thought that "dl" stood for Direct Link.

I guess you really do learn something new every day!