Are All ABGU Lessons Using Pick & Fingers Combo?

Discussion in 'Acoustic BGU Questions and Comments' started by ChicagoNed, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Stephanie-NoelDodt

Stephanie-NoelDodt Blues Newbie

I agree. Having fun is the most important part of this. That is made easier with the All Access Pass because of the Webinars and the Forum. They lend a unique sense of "connectedness" to the pursuit of "guitar goodness"!

snarf likes this.
  2. Stephanie-NoelDodt

3. Stephanie-NoelDodt

One thing I like about the Dunlop thumbpicks is that you can tailor the length of the "spur". I use a toenail clipper and a bit of fine sandpaper for this. I don't like hearing the spur of the pick hitting the soundboard of the guitar above the low E string because that will eventually cause wear. A bit of experimentation lead to a pick shape that is just right. You can also "resize" by dipping the pick in hot water. I just tried the Ultex thumbpicks and like them.

4. Stephanie-NoelDodt

Thanks for the Tommy Emmanuel tip, Elwood. Just Googled and found a YouTube video By Tommy Emmanuel called `Thumbpicking Master Class' presented by Guitarist in 2018. (Their magazine has another article in May 2019 about Chet Atkins thumbpicking). The video takes you through the steps required to eventually become proficient with the thumbpick and fingers starting with `Freight Train'. He really presents some good tips.
    Right now I am busy working on technique and I will eventually be "worth" listening to! I am absolutely totally enjoying everything about the Blues Guitar Unleased experience, from the course materials to All Access and Griff's webinars. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I knew after looking at several of his presentations that he was definitely the best choice for me and the first thing I did when the pandemic hit was to order his very beginning courses (Beginning Blues Guitar and How To Read Music on Guitar) and, even though much of that was review for me, I studied both courses completely. I am now studying Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed, Strumming And Rhythm Mastery and Guitar Theory Made Useful and taking my time with them. I am in awe at the number and scope of the courses he has created. He is truly a master teacher with a beautiful and encouraging teaching style.

dwparker and Elwood like this.