Anyone using this course?

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I see there's no posts here in over a year. I got this course a year and a half ago with ABGU and finally got around to opening it yesterday. Have been playing my old Harmony Sovereign in open D for a while now (cause the actions so high it's only good for slide) and found the Boxcar Riding Blues lesson just what I was looking for. I believe I'll dust my broom with it for the next little while. [smiley=wink.gif]

Bluesgrass

Blues Newbie
I've worked with it a little bit; mostly the standard tuning stuff.  The goal is to switch effortlessly between finger lead and slide lead.  It would be cool to have the slide on most of the time and throw it in here and there while playing a tune.  I've found that most chords can be played using 3 fingers.  You have to get kind of creative, but it can be done.  It's going pretty good so far.  The good tones are starting to come along more often and the "sick cat" sounds are dwindling. 

Terry B

I'm finding the major challenge right now picking the open string at the same time as sliding to other strings as in the first bar of Boxcar. After some experimentation I've settled on using my middle finger for the slide leaving first and third for the power chords. This seems to work best for me in switching from chords or finger lead to slide. And yeah it takes some practice to get the sick cat to go away.[smiley=embarassed.gif]

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Terry, this course is also on my "hit" list to do but like everything else, I have to get to it...I do have it out of the wrapper though... ;)...one of my minor goals for 2014...maybe I should get off my butt and try some of it... ::)...later.

cowboy

dennis_bailey

Blues Newbie
i bought the delta blues slide course and got the acoustic course for free! i love the slide course myself i just like the way acoustic slide sounds( of course my wife doesn't) lol i've learned the standard tunning and i'm working on the open G lesson my biggest problem is i start noodling around and lose focus ha ha another cool thing you can do is try sliding around with the ABU course you might be surprised ! ;)

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
I forgot I even had this course, but I bought a resonator guitar today so while I was rummaging around I ran across it again. I'm sure I'll be spending time with it now...

Terry B

I find acoustic slide to be a nice diversion to whatever else you're working on. When you get frustrated with BGU or whatever other course, put the electric down and grab the acoustic for a while.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
I got the course with ABGU as well and have only recently opened it up to have a look.  It looks fun.

Terry B

I got the course with ABGU as well and have only recently opened it up to have a look.  It looks fun.

Yes...find an old acoustic, or better yet a resonator and get her tuned to DADF#AD... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

TonyS

Blues Newbie

Yes...find an old acoustic, or better yet a resonator and get her tuned to DADF#AD... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
All my acoustic guitars are old Terry.  Just like me  ;)

Terry B

All my acoustic guitars are old Terry.  Just like me  ;)

I wish one of my new electrics were as old as me...