Anyone else had this experience?

B

bplavoie

Although I was 5 lessons into BGU and doing pretty good, I decided to circle back to BBG to see what I could get from it. Should be pretty easy, I thought. So I'm at 'Sittin Easy Blues', trying to follow the rule I set down for myself that I can move on once I can play something perfectly 3 times in a row. After a few days, I could play the whole thing through from memory without looking at the strings, but ALWAYS messing up or hesitating somewhere, and - here's the irritating thing - NEVER IN THE SAME PLACE TWICE. :mad: I spent 3 WEEKS trying to play it 3 times in succession, and finally, 2 nights ago, did it. Since then, I can play it without a problem every time.

I finally concluded that the probem was the goal itself: I was so focused on playing it perfectly 3 times in a row that I was too self-conscious about what I was doing, and so over-riding the muscle memory that seemed to take over otherwise. Now that I've met the goal, there's no pressure.

On the up-side, the Full On Blues seems much easier now, either because I learned not to pressure myself or because I got so much practice alternating between chords and the first 3 strings. Or both!  :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Maybe not exactly the same thing, but many of us have a similar problem when we record our lessons. I know I can play a lesson perfectly time after time, but once I push that record button, it's like I'm playing it for the first time again. Mistakes everywhere ndn just like you not always in the same place. Pressure gets to us all.
Mike

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I find I can play some thing fine on my own. I can play it fine along with Griff on the dvd or cd track. Switch on the metronome and can't play a bleeding thing. Don't know why it just seems to unsettle me. So I have decided to go right back to the begining and not move on ubtil I can play along with the metronome. I figure If I can do it with the simple stuff when I move to the more complex I will get over the hurdle.

either that or I'm playing that Mozart thing for the rest of my life  ;D

cheers

Al.

I

IrishRover

The same thing with the metronome happens to me constantly and here's what (at least for me) I think is happening,  when I'm counting for myself "I" control the beat so if I need an extra split second to move my fret hand or find that string I unconsciously slow down in my counting (i.e. one twoooo three four.) where with the metronome I'm not in control and it keeps counting whether I need that extra time or not.  I don't think it happens when playing along with Griff because someone else is playing and 'carrying' you.  Kind of like when you sing along with the radio and know every word & note of a song but if you try to sing that same song by yourself................

560sdl

Blues Newbie
And I am guessing this is EXACTLY WHY learning with the metronome is so important.  A metronome tells it like it is.  It does not lie and it does not cheat ;)

B

bplavoie

That's interesting, IrishRover - I never stopped to consider why playing with a metronome feels different than playing (what I think of as) the same speed without it.

One other interesting thing about BBG as opposed to BGU: The 4 songs at the beginning sound (to my ear) much better on my acoustic than on my strat. I love the sound of slow acoustic blues. Suggestion for Griff for the next series: ABG (Acoustic Blues Guitar).

I

IrishRover

You will hear many times on the forum and during the BBG & BGU lessons that the lessons can be played on both acoustic & electric - yes, they'll sound different but both will be good.

The difference I have found is that when bending comes into the mix it is much easier on an electric.  Also unless the acoustic has a cutaway everything after box three requires an adjustment because the body can start on the 14th fret.

Russ

Blues Newbie
I'm always much faster or slower than that darn time buster.  :mad: Can you say stage fright? :-[

R

RichC

I think your on to something. Your explanation as to why its happening makes as much sense as having difficulty when recording makes. The problem may be your tightening your muscles because of the strees your feeling. Try turning on a recorder and just keep it on and dont stop and listen, play what you want, then play it again and again. Dont be conscious of anyting except playing what your playing-no counting etc. Watch your fingers when you play (I think its fine to do so.) and just concentrate on making music.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
In the studio guitar player world we call it "red light syndrome." Not to be confused with other "red-light" districts, this refers to the red light that goes on in most studios as soon as the engineer hits the record button.

I can't tell you how many guitarists instantly seize up when that happens. It takes a lot of confidence to play the same way when recording as you do when just playing along with the jam track.

Here's the other thing, when playing along with the metronome (and without the track) you have to be responsible for the beat yourself. You can't rely on any little audible cues from the "band" behind you. You don't realize it, but when you play along with the track you get really used to hearing subtle little things that the other instruments do that cue you when to play your next part.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Absolutely! That's why I have a really hard time playing to a metronome, but a slightly less hard time playing to a backing track. Does that mean that I need to practice more with a metronome, or just rely on my ear and play with backing tracks?
Mike

I

IrishRover

Mike, that may lead to another question.  Are you aiming to play with other players ( jam track) or are you responsible  for the timing (metronome) as in being the 'band' for a singer or soloist?  Or as is the case in many instances will it be both?  Sounds to me like metronome is the way to go to be safe. :cool:

johnc

systematic
Yeah it much easier when all the cues are there.
If I have to try and record just with a click track/metronome I really have to imagine the rest of the band playing.  Just recording the Drums or guitar alone and getting the right feel and fills etc is hard.
But like everything, the more you do it the better you get, and I am not very good at it :'(

The BGU band will test me for sure.

B

bplavoie

I'm glad I'm not alone here. I've scrapped the idea of 'three times through perfectly before moving on". Now I'm moving on when it feels right (usually when I can play it perfectly 3 times in one sitting - even if it took 40 tries to do so!), and trusting that I've learned something that will help me moving forward. How to play without thinking too hard about it - this is going to be the most difficult thing for me.  :p

E

Emilio

Hey Bp

Just thought I would drop my 2 cents worth in and totally agree with everything that is been said. Obviously I am only a nube guitarist and am mindful of overstepping the mark

I just wanted to add something I picked up that has always stuck with me, and it has helped me immensely in my playing.  I am sure Griff may have already mentioned this somewhere before, but I would just like to reiterate.

The thing is to play as “SLOW AS YOU DARN WELL NEED TO GO” and get it right. I you do not do this you will simply be putting a lot of effort into practicing your mistakes, which will serve no purpose other than prolonging the exercise

I always find playing along with the metronome at 50-60 BPM tool slow. But in some cases I slow down to 30 BPM, just to get the notes under my fingers and the groove right. Then gradually increase the BPM. You will be up to speed in no time with no mistakes

Emi (UK)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Emi, You are NOT overstepping, particularly since your "Practicing your mistakes" comment is a beautiful quote to remember.
Thanks for the input,
Mike

J

jhagan421

Emi if you can play at 30 bpm and still make it sound like a song, you might be the best one here!

bplavoie - in the Practice techniques thread in this area Griff suggests the three times rule, but there is more to it than that - migh want to jump over there in and give it a read.

D

davemoss

bp I like your "3 times perfect rule". When you've done it once you are under pressure, and on the 3rd go you are under serious pressure otherwise you have to start over. That is a true test which I am sure will stand you in good stead whenever you have to perform under any other kind of pressure, like recording or in front of an audience.

B

bplavoie

It's a good point, Dave - maybe I should go back to it. I'm a big type-A personality, so I put a lot of pressure on myself to get it right - ESPECIALLY if I've played it perfectly twice in a row. Usually enough pressure that I think too much and screw up the last time. Then there's the devil in my head saying "your gonna screw up on the next measure even though you have it down cold" - and invariably I do.  :mad:

Figuring out how to succeed despite yourself if have the battle for some of us.

J

jhagan421

...I'm a big type-A personality, ...Then there's the devil in my head saying "your gonna screw up on the next measure even though you have it down cold" - and invariably I do.  :mad:

Figuring out how to succeed despite yourself if have the battle for some of us.

I bet there is a LOT of this going on around here.  Well said BP