any Brian Setzer fans?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Reverb opened a Brian Setzer shop this morning. I had to laugh because when I first clicked on it, like 2 items had been sold and that was it. Started looking at the stuff I thought I might want to dream about, and noticed that within 10 minutes over half the items were sold, and most of the good stuff was gone. Probably a good thing...it was all little too champagne for my beer budget. But then again, it had belonged to the rockabilly man himself.

Any of you fellers (and gals) get lucky enough to snag anything from it?

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I saw the Man with the Stray Cats in the early 80’s (I don’t remember the exact year), right after Rock This Town came out. I was so amazed with his skills, the rockabilly music and how much fun I had! It was a small theater in Minneapolis, probably a few hundred people and we were in the 2nd row. My ex-wife (girlfriend at the time) was totally freaked out the whole concert because the crowd was filled with punkers (mohawks, died hair, excessive tats and piercings that she had never seen before). Normal everywhere now but not so much in the early 80’s. To me, they were rockers having a blast! I guess I should have realized that she wasn’t the one for me but I was young, dumb and in love (horny). 17 years and a whole lot of money later I finally figured it out (she’s been gone for 19 years now). I digress! Brian rocks and always has. I would love to have one of his guitars to hang on the wall but I know it won’t improve my playing so I’m out but I still love his music. True rockabilly music: check out “Rumble In Brighton” from his Stray Cat days. One guitar, stand up bass and a bass, snare and cymbal for the drum set. True, down and dirty to the bones rock and roll!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPshffbyYQM
Just because it’s fun
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFq8_BISSA
And 1 more
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eEsfZbGxx6Y

Last edited:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
He is equally adept in the sparse trio setting as he is with a big band.
Some of his big band recordings are superb. One of my favorites is his rendition of "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square".
A very talented guy.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Saw Brian and his band last year. Terrific show! He is a phenomenal guitar player. A guy I know in SoCal that leads a rockabilly band is a long time friend of Brian's. Heard some great stories about how Brian would come over to his house to jam and he literally had to ask him to leave. Brian just wanted to keep jammin" all night long. Here's a picture I took at the show:

Brian Setzer.jpg

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Steve---man your killing me----THAT was FUN. Ain't no music will ever take the place of good ole' ROCK n ROLL, and the Stray Cats put it out there like it is suppose to be. with a attitude.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I’m with ya! Old rock and roll with attitude? How about Ted Nugent live doing the great Muddy Waters blues tune Baby Please Don’t Go? Talk about attitude :cool::Beer::thumbup:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHbKSOzB_Ck

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
Saw Brian and his band last year. Terrific show! He is a phenomenal guitar player. A guy I know in SoCal that leads a rockabilly band is a long time friend of Brian's. Heard some great stories about how Brian would come over to his house to jam and he literally had to ask him to leave. Brian just wanted to keep jammin" all night long. Here's a picture I took at the show:

View attachment 12467

Always loved the stand up bass...:thumbup::cool:

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I finally got to see Brian with the Stray Cats opening up for the Pretenders at the Santa Barbara Bowl in 2008. Phenomenal show. Brian came out and played a set with the Pretenders, as well. That was my first and only concert at that venue. What a great night. If you are a fan of the Stray Cats, check out the Brian Setzer Orchestra. Great stuff. But yeah, I'm not going to shell out money to buy a guitar he breathed on once.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I'm a fan... Saw him a few years ago when he was sporting a full swing band/orchestra... Great show...