Another "Which Guitar Next?" thread. (Martin advice)

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Yeah, it is another "Which Guitar Next?" thread.:( I have, I think, posted here about my next guitar and deciding between a PRS McCarty 594 or a PRS DGT. And, if not here, I know I have discussed this with a couple of you on another forum.

But in a rare example of actually considering something logically, rather than emotionally, I've arrived at the conclusion what I really need more is an acoustic.

I've always thought that my next acoustic was going to be the Martin 000-28EC. It is gorgeous. I actually got to play a used one pre-pandemic and it sounds great. And, as much as I can remember, played great. I have heard that there is a lot of variation, guitar to guitar with the EC, and one needs to play it to get a good one. Of course, I can't do that now. I've also heard the neck is really different and one either loves it or hates it. I don't remember that. I admit one is going to pay extra for the little Clapton signature at the 20th fret! But the reviews I've watched are overwhelming positive.

Recently, however, I've seen some reviews of the mahogany Martin 000-15M. I think it is this video that the guy from Alamo guitars says it is not just the best value among Martin guitars but the best value of any guitar period!

Then he raves about it for acoustic blues! He discussed the low-mids for blues and how a lot, or most, of the old blues guys used the smaller mahogany guitars.

So, you Martin experts, what say you? Of course, the Clapton sig is going to be more guitar. There is a reason it's a lot more money. But I am mainly an electric guy. For my occasional acoustic I have to wonder if the little 15M won't serve. And I can take the difference and apply towards that PRS. (See! I won't completely decide rationally!!!:rolleyes:)

Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Well I like Martins! The necks fit my hands great so I've got 6 of them. 3 are in the 28 series. 3 others are mahogany sides and back with spruce front including a 12 string. None are the 15 series. I was looking at the 15 series but when they went over $1000 used I gravatated towards higher lever models for not that much more. I think you can't go wrong with an American made Martin. I'd steer away from a Mexican made X series. I have a friend that wouldn't even play with me when she heard the tone of my American made Martins. The 000-28EC is spost to have a slightly wider neck than my 000-28. I don't know if it's any fatter in the depth? It's a great guitar but if you get the regular ole 000-28 like I have you won't be disappointed. As you are mainly an electric player you might consider getting a cut-away like an OMC. I've got one I couldn't pass up. It's a lower level OMC-1E that I got for about $400 and it's great! :Beer:

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
I do like your preferences in Martin. The 000-15SM was on my short list when I found my "hog". If you don't need the upper fret access the slotted headstock is way better (IMO) for a host of reasons.
000-28 of some version looks like a real nice size guitar, another I have spent lots of time researching on. I have reservations with my guitar having two other guy's names on it though, the makers is enough for me. I understand there are spec differences between the models. I agree with mountain man, and if I were to get one I would probably go "regular ole".

"Good blues guitar", that is especially true if you do any delta type, you know the thump bass style blues stuff. Mahogany does that very well. I cringe when sales folks do use that phrase though, I think you find a blues guitar under the arm of a blues player. My Martin, and my Taylors all do any blues better than I do. Depends on the tune, the tone, the difficulty, the mood. Maybe I just aren't good enough to know the difference.

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got 2 Martins, an '85 D-35 and a '99 D-15. Both are super excellent guitars. The only downside to my D-15 is that it didn't come with electronics, and I haven't brought myself to have any put in yet. I helped a buddy pick out the D-15 back in 2000, and he sold it to me probably 5 years ago. It has all that warm, mellow round-ness that you expect a Martin have. Bang for the buck, I'd agree with the vid you linked in that I don't believe you could get a better guitar even spending a good bit more - at least not new. I'm not sure what the used market looks like right now with acoustics, but, if it's like pedals and electrics, I don't know that I'd buy one used right now because the used prices are too close to new.

The D-15 is the only guitar I have (electric or acoustic) that my wife can pick out the sound on. It has a distinct voice (I blame it on being all mahogany) that is just killer. I'll pull it out of the case and strum a chord, and she'll show up from across the house saying "oh, I like that one!" She doesn't do that with any of the others. Right now I've got it setup as a high strung guitar because it seems to complement every other acoustic I have in that setup.

I haven't actually played a 000-15, but I imagine that, if you go that direction, it's going to be a guitar that you play for years to come. I'd echo what mountain man said about the Mexican Martins. There are some super instruments coming out of Mexico (just look at the MIM Fenders), but the X series guitars I've played, although they sound really nice, next to the MIA Martins, you can hear a difference. If you've got the budget for a Nazareth made Martin, look around for the one that speaks to you, and it'll be a guitar that you won't get rid of.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The martin Martin 000-15M looks to be a very nice guitar to me. But I am no acoustic expert nor do I even speak "acousitc-ese". I also am an electric-focused player. I do not "play acoustic". I got my EPI EJ-200 for about half what that Martin costs. I got it to practice my electric licks on in the john so I don't electrocute myself. It is strung with 9's ... obviously I don't follow the herd. I got a couple of Griff's acoustic blues courses ... not even sure why.

The EJ-200 satisfies my 'acoustic urge' very well, and it sounds really great plugged in and plays as well / easily as my electrics.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
The only downside to my D-15 is that it didn't come with electronics
That was a priority for me too snarf. Then I started sitting around with a couple of cheap mics, a focusrite 2i2 interface, and an iPad with cans. That is more stuff than plugging into an amp but;
the setup runs for hours on the iPad battery (even while providing phantom +48v for the mic from the 2i2)
the sound (using the onboard garageband) is so good that I just have not plugged in an acoustic since
I am not concerned with performing live with an acoustic, if I were - I'd be plugging
It just feels good not having an acoustic connected with a wire (to me).

I just mention all this because if you are in the same boat as I am and have not listened to that D-15 (any of em!) with headphones I do believe you are in for a great experience! You may re-think even getting electrics. My Martin MMV dred (spruce/rosewood D-14 size body- Nazareth) sounds so lush from the mic perspective. I tried it with the mic setup and promptly restrung it to have it at it's best!

Your Martins sound like they are amazing!!!

matonanjin

@mountain man, @Elwood , @snarf , and @Rancid Rumpboogie thank you for the thoughtful, inclusive, and very helpful responses. I appreciate them. As I said in my op, prior to this I was certain about the 000-Clapton being the next purchase. Thaanks to your help I am now leaning towards the 000 mahogany. I have a couple weeks to digest this more when the funds for the guitar arrive. AND, I can use the diiference towards the PRS!:eek::rolleyes: Yeah, it's disease!

Thanks again.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
You know, if you have the approval from the better half to spend the extra cash on the EC now........... you might not get it later....... :Beer:

Elwood

Blues
and if you are looking at short scale, hardwood guitars, it just would not be fair to not say that I just plain love this guitar.

upload_2021-5-5_8-36-0.png

Easy to play, fun, tough as nails. "Blues guitar?", I've used it on tracks here since I got it. Never sounds bad.
I just didn't mention it because it didn't seem to fit in the talk with all the wonderful guitars. But, what the hay? My mini is wonderful too! The nicest mini is under your price point. Tons of reviews out there, not many are less than way positive. (sorry guys...Moto's post got me thinking, no telling where that goes :) )

GS Mini Koa ★ Detailed Guitar Review - YouTube

Gabby and Django are pretty cool too!

Last edited:

straightblues

Blues Junior
First, I have way too many guitars! Here is my experience with acoustics. I currently own the following acoustic guitars:

1. Santa Cruz DPW
2. 1960's Gibson J35 (natural finish J45)
3. 1932 Dobro
4. Johnson Style O resonator guitar
5-7 various 60's cheap ladder braced small body guitars like Silvertone, EKO, and Stella ($50 to $150 each)
8 1960's Harmony 165
9 1960 Harmony Sovereign

I am an electric guitar player. I always feel like I should have an acoustic. So I have 9, LOL! I would rather play electric if possible 99% of the time.

When I want to play blues on acoustic, it is either the resonator or cheap small body guitar.

My primary use for a acoustic guitar is playing around a campfire or in the park. I could never imagine bringing a $2,000 plus dollar guitar to play in the heat and sand. I bring one of the cheap little small body guitars to play a few blues songs. Then I bring a cheap acoustic to bang out classic rock songs so everyone can sing. My two Harmony guitars do that well.

I own two very expensive acoustics, they sound great on the couch at home. But once you plug them in at a live gig, I don't think they sound much better than a sub $1,000 guitar. So I never bring them out of the house. I need to sell them both.

Guitars in the $500 to $1,000 sound good. You have to pay a lot more money ($2,500 plus) to get guitars that sound substantially better, IMHO.

I really like those GS Mini guitars. I have also owned a couple of Martins through the years. I really like their sound.

Old acoustics generally sound much better than new ones. Buy used if you can.

Good luck on your quest. My last piece of advise is to figure out what you want to use the acoustic guitar and find a guitar that fits that specific need.

straightblues

Blues Junior
These are the cheap small body guitars for blues that I am talking about. You can find them on Craigslist or at the swap meet often. They made thousands of them. I buy them whenever I see them cheap. This guy talks about neck rests but I have found plenty that play just fine without it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Cw_msHypg

Last edited:

matonanjin

So after all this I may be shifting direction! I went in to my favorite local store yesterday. I knew that the didn't have an EC in inventory but I thought I would just browse. There is a great little restaurant across the street that has great burgers and really good wood fire pizza. And it was beautiful and we could sit outside. So it was as much for that as guitar shopping.

I told the owner I knew he didn't have a 000-EC but what asked what he had potentially similar. He said he had something that I really should look at. He took me back to the room that has the guitars you need to ask for an employee to take off the wall;) Where the PRS and Collings, etc. are.

We often use the expression here "find the guitar that speaks to you". That's exactly what happened. He showed me a Martin M-36. Gorgeous guitar, especially gorgeous 3 piece back, really, really playable. And just full, deep low end. To my limited ability full everything but especially the lows. Not thumpy like a dreadnaught. I don't know how to describe it better. It should be good for blues. Not as small as a 000 but a little thinner than a dreadnaught. The size felt good to me.

AND slightly cheaper than the EC.!

We had lunch and I went back and put a deposit on it. He's giving me a week to think on it.

Anyone have a report on the M-36?

edited to add: And it has built in LR Baggs pickups

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Since you insinuated you are not completely sold on anything yet....................may I suggest another direction. Epiphone Masterbilt. The new retro models I played and didn't like at all. MIne is an Dr 500mce I believe, unfortunately it looks like not in Epi's rotation now, so whatever you can find is NOS.

The necks are like a Les Paul, dual pick ups that can be blended to completely change the sound, even Zack Wylde sings their praises.
Fishman pre-amps. I have used it fully on a stage and have never ever had the feedback issues that everyone I know with a Martin or Taylor has to work out.

Yeah I know I know................many people start with the, it's an Epiphone ewwwwwwwwwwww. Well, I like toys, I love buying new gear, I love to try something new, and since getting this years ago, I have never looked back or even cared to buy anything else. I have gone and played the $1500 to $2000 guitars, and nope, I have played the Takamines and D'angelicos and they couldn't compare.

The settings alow it to be such an all around workhorse it takes the place of a few others...............................I would highly encourage check out some youtube reviews

matonanjin

Since you insinuated you are not completely sold on anything yet....................
Then I clearly didn't do a very good job of expressing my thoughts. I tried to...." "find the guitar that speaks to you". That's exactly what happened. " Thank you for your suggestion, adding to the conversation.

The Martin M-36 truly looks like a fine guitar!! When do you take it home and enjoy it for life? :Beer:
94.7% certain that will occur May 28:cool:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Then I clearly didn't do a very good job of expressing my thoughts. I tried to...." "find the guitar that speaks to you". That's exactly what happened. " Thank you for your suggestion, adding to the conversation.

94.7% certain that will occur May 28:cool:
I feel that way about my EPI EJ-200 CE. It has a WONDERFUL dual-pickup and amazing preamp setup.. I am not an "acoustic guy" and the roughly $3,500.00 price difference between my EPI and its Gibson version would be undetectable to my unrefined ear, and to me, my EPI sounds awesome.

Last edited: