Another SWS Solo 3 question

K

kimrush

There is a repetitive pattern (5 - 4 - 5 - 4) that begins on bar 13 and ends on bar 16.  What is the best way to keep track of where you are in the progression?  Each bar has four triplets.  I tried counting while playing, I tried concentrating on the rhythm, I tried hoping for the best.  I have yet to come up with the optimal method.

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
I tried all that as well, and gave up. Just complicates everything. I found that by playing along , however bad it is, you eventually get it. I guess your ear and brain get into synch, and you end up when griff does. Just keep plugging away at it. Took me awhile to get that sorted...

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
There is a repetitive pattern (5 - 4 - 5 - 4) that begins on bar 13 and ends on bar 16.  What is the best way to keep track of where you are in the progression?  Each bar has four triplets.  I tried counting while playing, I tried concentrating on the rhythm, I tried hoping for the best.  I have yet to come up with the optimal method.
Ideally you'll count beats in the rhythm or feel it to some degree. However, it's one of those "if you can't hum it..." problems. If you find that without your guitar in your hands you can hum along and know when it ends, then you probably won't have much trouble with the guitar in your hands.

And then the opposite is also true... if you do have trouble humming it, adding the guitar isn't going to help. So at least for now, I'd make sure you can hum it and know when it ends before you add the guitar.

Griff

henryj

Blues Newbie
1 e a 2 e a 3 e a 1 e a
1 e a 2 e a 3 e a 2 e a
1 e a 2 e a 3 e a 3 e a
1 e a 2 e a 3 e a 4 e a

works for me.

I've currently shelved all my blues guitar lessons so I can focus on just playing a few Johnny Cash tunes which is why I started this course in the first place.  Johnny has many long interludes One interlude early in I walk the line is 8 bars followed but a ninth bar where the singing starts.  The above method is working for me.  the last bar I count 1 & 2 & 3 & 8 & then the next bar starts the singing part.

Once I get a few JC tunes down I plan to pick back up on BGU.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
1 e a 2 e a 3 e a 1 e a
1 e a 2 e a 3 e a 2 e a
1 e a 2 e a 3 e a 3 e a
1 e a 2 e a 3 e a 4 e a

works for me.

I've currently shelved all my blues guitar lessons so I can focus on just playing a few Johnny Cash tunes which is why I started this course in the first place.  Johnny has many long interludes One interlude early in I walk the line is 8 bars followed but a ninth bar where the singing starts.  The above method is working for me.  the last bar I count 1 & 2 & 3 & 8 & then the next bar starts the singing part.

Once I get a few JC tunes down I plan to pick back up on BGU.
You might want to jump ahead in BGU to lesson 23(ish) where I discuss the major blues sound.

A lot of country music is based more around the major blues sound than the minor blues sound. Most of the JC tunes I've played over the years seemed to revolve around that sound.

There's a really cool little pattern that happens in the major blues sound. It spans boxes but it fingers easily. I put a PDF of it in the key of F (I always did Folsom Prison Blues in F) in my dropbox for you:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14612195/F-major-country-blues.pdf

Play around with it, I think you'll recognize a lot of country licks in that sound.
Griff