Another success for Dave

jimatwell

Blues Newbie
Since it seems that Dave isn't into blowing his own horn (strumming his own guitar???) I'll chime in and give him up...

He was visiting my neck of the woods again this week and he had another great performance at our local blues jam.  He arrived with guitar in hand (I arrived empty handed because I'm a big chicken...) and signed up on the sheet at the bar and when his name was called successfully played through the 3 or 4 tunes in the set.  He was even asked to get back up on stage later in the evening and he pulled through again with flying colors.

These were some very good musicians that he was playing with - he certainly put his BGU skills to work.  It was fun to watch somebody I knew jamming away.  One day maybe if my chops improve....

Jim

G

godlistrom

we just need to listen to the sound understanding that Dave esr level record. I said with the work I do now, my heat as beautiful as Dave in my game Super job Dave you are a model for me :cool:

SeattleSlim

Blues Newbie
How about some photos and/or recordings if possible? So when are you going to get up there too? Good going!

I haven't been to an open mic yet, so I looked up some info locally. There is a national network of open mic listings for your city or state. It might be of interest to BGU players.

http://openmicus.ning.com/

If you go to the bottom of this site you can find what's available in your location.
http://www.openmicseattle.com/seattle/

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I went to an open mic night last night too, but I left the axe at home. Based on the talent I saw last night, it will be a LONG time before I'm ready to play there. It did however inspire me to make my first attempt at noodling to jam tracks. Wow was that first attempt awful!  It got a little better today, so I finally understand why everyone says " Noodle around with the backing tracks"!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
YES! NOODLE! NOODLE! NOODLE!

This is what it's all about for me. I know most people don't think they'll ever get up and do that sort of thing, but I guarantee that when you get over your fear and go for it you'll never look back. Way to go Dave! And thanks Jim for giving us the heads-up.

Griff

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Jim- It was great seeing you again in NJ and it was a good time visiting and being a part of the now familiar "Franklin Tavern". The people there are a welcoming bunch! Fun time for sure. I kind of expected that you would bring your guitar but next time!

Dave

johnc

systematic
Excellent, report Jim.
Good to know what our Dave is up to.  I kow you would have done very well Dave, looks like no looking back now.  Really great news.

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Thanks John - True no backing down now for me. I am hooked. Truth is the "open jam" is so challenging especially when playing 2nd guitar you need to quickly interpret the from lead the singer, harp player or guitar what the key is (major or minor) what the rhythm style is etc. and then 1,2, 3, 4 you are off. Then when you get the nod for solo all the neat stuff that you literally glide through at home with jam tracks, major and minor blues scales, working up the fretboard etc. is frozen in time and lost to the music demons. You are left with about 5 notes on the fretboard to deal with! It's so much fun I love it!

I got a nice compliment from one of the guys who was watching my second time up. "You really know when not to play. You really know how to use quiet space." When you think about it that is the best compliment to get.

Dave

gpower

Blues Junior
It's inspiring to those of us still at the entry levels of BGU to hear guys like 560, johnc, and Dave getting to play to an audience. Man, I would love to play out again. I do have to start actively lookin' for a good jam band to work with.

Keep us goin' guys!

johnc

systematic
It's inspiring to those of us still at the entry levels of BGU to hear guys like 560, johnc, and Dave getting to play to an audience. Man, I would love to play out again. I do have to start actively lookin' for a good jam band to work with.

Keep us goin' guys!

Yeah Gary, As much as I enjoy my own practce time, it takes on a whole different level of playing live with other guys to an audience, and is fairly addictive.  Which is strange for me because I am a quiet and reserved sort of person who generally stays at home and keep to myself.  So it must be my release.

Cranking up the amp, and hearing it working properly with the live drums, bass and vocals is something else.  Seeing people jumping around a dance floor and having a good time to the music we are making is something else. Getting paid although not essential, for doing something we enjoy is something else not to mention one of the only jobs I know of where it is considered normal to have a beer or two on the job :D
But definitely look for others to jam with no matter where you are with your playing because it will force you to go forward in leaps and bounds.

J

johng

Congratulations Dave. A couple of quick questions for you and John if I may. Have you found it more beneficial jamming with guys at the same level (playing the other instruments), or who are a level above? What what did you do to find people you could connect with? ~ John

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
John - Hook up with the best players you can and you will learn fast.

The open mic that I have played at several times was introduced to me by Jim Atwell right here on BGU. I took a chance and went over there with my Guitar and it is a great scene. 12 bar blues format. Get put in a combo and lead or follow.

I looked on-line and found several other blues open mics locally. I have yet to check them out, but I will.

Dave

J

johng

Thanks Dave. A couple of guys at work have asked me to jump in with them, and some local guys who regularly get together in a garage have invited me  - probably knowing all I need is a gentle push. As you outlined in one of your posts, I'm worried I'll forget what I have learnt, and just freeze! I also find myself putting it off until I've done more practice. Anyway, I'm gonna take these guys up on there offers and give it a go next month - even if its just comping until I'm more comfortable playing along with other folks. Thanks again Dave. ~ John

johnc

systematic
Yeah John, Ditto to what Dave said.
Playing with other guys is good any time,  If you can find some more experienced guys who are willing to give you a go, do not knock the opportunity back.
It will be a life changing experience.

ihorowitz

Blues Newbie
A couple of guys at work have asked me to jump in with them, and some local guys who regularly get together in a garage have invited me  - probably knowing all I need is a gentle push.

Do groups to jam with?!  I'm jealous- I can barely get my crew together every 6 months.  Playing with other folks really speed up the learning process. Don't worry about "freezing"- it happens but you learn from it.  It's definitely a great motivator to practice.