Another stadium gig...

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
..........we're not the main attraction however. :whistle::rolleyes: It's the Stryker Corporation company picnic. Our lead singer works there and got us the gig. We did it 2 years ago and we were stuck in right field while all the activities and people were on the infield or left field. We had one person wander over to watch us. They have 1650 employees locally, so there will be a lot of people there if you include family members. We will be in the beer garden area this year so we'll be near the action. It'll be Sept. 18th. I was over there tonight to check it out. Very cool. The Kalamazoo Growlers play here, and they are a feeder program for college kids to the minor leagues. I was told Derek Jeter played here. We were also offered an opportunity to play before their last home game on August 14. We wouldn't get paid per se, but would get food, beer, liquor, and tickets for the game. It could lead to paying gigs however.
We also have a 50th reunion gig on Sept 4th at a private residence. Things are looking up here in mythical Kalamazoo.
We replaced our bass player and added another guitar player and sax player. We're now Kat and the Bluetones. IMG_1747.jpeg IMG_1753.jpeg IMG_1748.jpeg IMG_1754.jpeg I still take some leads, but the new guy made me a rhythm player mostly. I'm good with that. It's been said that you should play with people who are better than you. I can check those boxes with this group. Having a blast though. I'll include some pics from the stadium. I didn't notice that our lead singer was above a cannabis ad when I took the pic. (n):p

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Hey, wherever any of this leads remains to be seen. But in the meantime, you're gonna be doing what you love to do and that's all that really matters!

Good on you and I hope it blossoms into something more! :Beer:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
We decided to do the gig before the baseball game on the 14th. We have to provide our own sound and will haul our gear on the warning track. The location is the building just right of center in the lower part of the picture. BCB pretty much nailed it. This will be an audition that could lead to other things. I'll try to get some pics and video.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
They may regret that!
That may have been prophetic. We did the gig and it went well. Load in was indeed from a gate in right center field on the warning track to the beer garden. We had to take a different route out since there was a baseball game going on. Had I known some of us would stay for the entire game, I would have waited and left the same way we came in. I don't know why we started playing at 5pm when the gates didn't open until 5:30. (n):oops: Obviously music isn't one of their strong suits. We basically entertained the Kokomo Jackrabbits who were warming up before the game, and their pitching coach was digging us. :whistle::rolleyes: We had to be alert for dingers during batting practice and the home run derby before the game. A few were bouncing around where we were. People started arriving in the beer garden around 5:45 and it was fairly crowded. They seemed to like us, as did management. We are supposedly on speed dial for future events where a band is needed. It was quite the experience and we learned what we need to do for the Sept. 18th gig in the same location. I only took one picture during set up, but I noticed that our sax players S.O. was taking pics and/or video. We have some recordings on messenger and when I figure out how to get them here I'll do that.
And yes, food was free, as was beer and booze. I suspect we were trying to capitalize on that and ended up staying for the entire game.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 74035D29-F12A-418B-97F5-3EE94B6D67F4_1_201_a.jpeg
    74035D29-F12A-418B-97F5-3EE94B6D67F4_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
That may have been prophetic. We did the gig and it went well. Load in was indeed from a gate in right center field on the warning track to the beer garden. We had to take a different route out since there was a baseball game going on. Had I known some of us would stay for the entire game, I would have waited and left the same way we came in. I don't know why we started playing at 5pm when the gates didn't open until 5:30. (n):oops: Obviously music isn't one of their strong suits. We basically entertained the Kokomo Jackrabbits who were warming up before the game, and their pitching coach was digging us. :whistle::rolleyes: We had to be alert for dingers during batting practice and the home run derby before the game. A few were bouncing around where we were. People started arriving in the beer garden around 5:45 and it was fairly crowded. They seemed to like us, as did management. We are supposedly on speed dial for future events where a band is needed. It was quite the experience and we learned what we need to do for the Sept. 18th gig in the same location. I only took one picture during set up, but I noticed that our sax players S.O. was taking pics and/or video. We have some recordings on messenger and when I figure out how to get them here I'll do that.
And yes, food was free, as was beer and booze. I suspect we were trying to capitalize on that and ended up staying for the entire game.:rolleyes:

Cool beans!

Looks like a lot of fun.
And now "they" know who and what you guys are all about and the rest remains to be seen.

But if this becomes a regular thing, you've gotta trade the beer and grub for some actual coin of the realm.

But hey, as long as you're having fun, the rest is just details!

Rock on brotha! :Beer:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Congratulations! Glad to hear it went so well! Sounds like an awesome gig and good impressions were made.