another one on the wounded list

Elwood

Blues
Boy, it's all different and none of it good (symptoms I mean). Sometime I'd enjoy meeting you and after important topics (like how you play like that) were covered, we could compare notes on the pre-post deal. Hey, at 56 you have lots of reasons and lots of time to beat that thing outright. Sure sounds like you will. At 68 (very soon) I need a bit more time, but I seem to have a bit more patience and a better tolerance for pain (not everyone around me shares my appreciation for a higher pain threshold. I am told it can reveal itself in other ways).

You had some real good tips for me. Here is mine...expect great things from your therapist. Please make sure yours understands what it will take for you to walk in for discharge from PT with a smile in your eyes. Kinda like you might not "bond" with a really fine guitar, but fly on another. Should you have doubt, at least listen to yourself and check out options a bit. (soapbox dismount)

Good day tomorrow! Enjoy your guitar reunion!!!

Elwood

Blues
Hey,

Very happy for the good news about Ted & berlew!!! Very Good.

I have asked my dear wife to type up a quick update on me. I'llbe fine, just need a little time.

Here's Mrs. Elwood...

Hi all,

Chatting with the surgeon after both stages .... doc said surgery went well and that he could visibly see pressure taken off the nerves in each procedure.

Recovery -- specifically both pain and nausea management -- has been tough, both in the hospital and at home. No guitar playing in the hospital. Had his cell and kindle; those stayed off, too. Didn't even turn on the room TV.

Steve came home Tuesday; he ended up staying two additional days in the hospital. After a conversation yesterday (4th day home) with the surgeon's assistant, I picked up a prescription for anti-nausea patches that were also used in the hospital and we have implemented a strict every 4-hour pain med plan, even setting the alarm to wake up for middle of the night dosing. Steve was assigned a few basic in-bed PT exercises in the hospital to wake up impinged leg and foot nerves and we had a home PT visit on Thursday. Most of the 2-hour PT visit was just the collection of intake info and then about 15 minutes of actual PT work. But, Steve went as full tilt as he could....and paid the price. In his Friday conversation with the surgeon's assistant, he then also agreed that he does need to be a "PT hero" right now.

One day at a time.....

Our younger son, daughter-in-law, two grandsons came to visit this afternoon. Steve was greatly cheered by their very positive statements about ~how much better~ he looked than when they last saw him in the hospital on Sunday.

First post-surgery doctor's visit is next week Thursday.

Btw, Paparaptor, we have a very special dog, too. Our 18 month-old boxer pup, Django, ate the remote controller for our receiver during the 1.5 hours he was alone before I came home after the Wednesday surgery. Django was actually very considerate! This was the same controller he ate and we had replaced in January. So, I didn't need to bother Steve at all to make sure that I ordered the correct item; I just found the order confirmation e-mail and placed a new replacement order.

back to me... so my gs mini was/is a great idea. Feels good even waking up with it sitting on you.

gonna run, make sure I'm ready for hula class in the morning.

Thanks again for all you good wishes, intentions and prayers.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Great to hear that everything went good with the surgery. Luckily I did not have any of the nausea issues that you are going through. Apparently I am one of the lucky ones that is not affected by anesthesia in this way. I sure don’t miss getting woke up several times throughout the night to take meds. Hopefully you will get past this in the next few days. I am starting OT and PT (therapy) 3 times a week for the next 5 weeks. Working on getting my strength back, especially in my left hand. My biggest problem right now is that my brain thinks that I can do more than my body is capable of (Griff’s June Challenge, although I’m still holding out hope that I can get something recorded). I just stopped taking the Oxy the other day. 3 1/2 weeks post surgery, most of the pain is pretty much gone now. Hang in there. You have been through this before, so you know the game. Take care. Keep us updated on your progress.