Another fine mess I got myself into

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I write this song one of Papas suggestions (illegal u turn- that is now named "The goodbye kiss". Now I find out I can't sing it---I have tried every truck drivin' beat I know.
Every chord from A to G and all the in betweens all the capo positions that I know of, in every key I know of, and I can not sing it.
I can sing it in my head but that's as far as it goes. Frustrating

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I write this song one of Papas suggestions (illegal u turn- that is now named "The goodbye kiss". Now I find out I can't sing it---I have tried every truck drivin' beat I know.
Every chord from A to G and all the in betweens all the capo positions that I know of, in every key I know of, and I can not sing it.
I can sing it in my head but that's as far as it goes. Frustrating

At least you can sing it in your head. Every time I try to do that, my brain cells go on strike!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I wrote the song based on the beat of "Living on Tulsa Time", but it ain't working for me. I think it is because I wrote it playing acoustic, then when I shot the juice to it, it all unraveled. Today I am going to go back to the acoustic, scrap the "Tulsa Time" beat and see what happens.
The "Good Bye Kiss" is the reason for the "Illegal U Turn".
I must say, this is without a doubt, the most fun song to write I ever wrote. Usually a song writes it self (to me anyway) this one was the other way around (I had to write it, instead of it writing me) it is a subject that I would never have come up with in my own mind which made it fun.
Later

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I liked your quote "Usually a song writes it self (to me anyway)".
My dabbling in song writing is usually the same way.

It made me smile reading that you have a song , but can't sing it.
Strange how our brains work sometimes...aint it.

Good Luck!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I hear you Capn: I think I got to slow it down and edit a couple of verses by changing the words to other words that mean the same thing
be they slang or proper words. I find that works very well--if you use a slang word now and then it seems to add a little amusement and originality to it; that proper phrasing can't do. And other songwriters would not have thought of. (like puppets with strings on there fingers) :);):) I did a first recording of Water Board Blues last week, 2 or 3 more trys I might have it postable. Later

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
In all reality: How many times/and how much time, does it take you to get a recording done that you are even HALF WAY pleased with?---Not counting the lyric writing time. (That's the easy part). I been wrestling a Grizzly Bear for 4 days now..he damn near got me wore out.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Sometimes 15 minutes........, sometimes an hour or two.........., sometimes a day or two......., sometimes after a week or two it goes in the bin. (or is at least put aside for a while)

I've been struggling with one of mine recently. It keeps turning out more country than blues, so I shelved it and started on a new one, which I've been working on and off for about a week now. I don't know why this happens, but it does so I just hang in there and wait for the next one to come.:)

One of mine (Cos I got You) was written in 15mins, recorded in not much more, and posted shortly after. (although I did a remix on it later). I've been working on my last two songs for about three weeks now!!!!

I know...., that's probably not much help to you, but at least it lets you know that you're not alone.(y)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Davy: I find that very ENCURAGING. Having heard some of your's, I wish I could do something 1/2 as good.
I went threw damn near every drum track I got /and bass track,I have---then finally settled on one of the first: (Roll over Beathoven: Chuck Berry).
And like you the country thing kept falling in. (which ain't all that bad if it works) but this song don't meet my appeal, in country.
Oh well I'll get-er done some day----the sooner the better----I'd like to hear the country version you have of your song....Later

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Well I showed that Grizzly bear a thing or two today--I bet he don't mess no rednecks anymore. I called a couple of my old friends today and kind of sung the song to them over the phone and played what I have recorded and both of them told me the same thing: "It is a love song-not a hard driving trucking song". Both are very good musicians, (and I mean good)...Bill Roder, lives in---(this ain't no joke guys, google it)---"Booger Holler, Arkansas". He's played Bluegrass for A LONG TIME, plays guitar, banjo, fiddle and sings. Tom Francis lives in Sand Gap, Kentucky--he plays country now, but was one of the best Blues players back in his hay day I have heard. So I tried it a couple times---and they are right- it is a LOVE SONG not a truckin' song... I got to polish it up before I post it---shouldn't be too long---I HOPE. :Beer::cool::Beer:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Davy; Guess you ain't got no rednecks over there in Ireland---you don't know what your missing--
How in the world can a song named "GOODBYE KISS" be anything but a LOVE SONG---
Man, you be talking about country---I'm gonna show ya'all what a real country LOVE SONG is all about.
This post should also be considered----"HYPE" or CREATIVE ENTERTAINMENT..:Beer::Beer::Beer::D