Another dumb ? Dropbox

Elwood

Blues
Hey Dave,

you don't really "upload". you provide a link to the file you have in dropbox. If you look at dropbox, and hover over the tune you just put there, you see a paperclip looking icon. That will give you the link to that song. Click on the paperclip (actually a couple of links of a chain) to copy the link.
Go to forum and right click where you want to paste it, and use "paste" from the dropdown menu.
Finally change the "www" to "dl" in the filename syntax in your posting...and you are done.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If you have installed the Dropbox software, on your PC, then you can/should link a folder on your PC to one on your Dropbox account. Once that's done any file in your PC folder will automatically be uploaded to Dropbox plus if you right click the file on your PC, you will see a "Get Dropbox Link" option has been added to your list of options.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Go to your Dropbox folder and pick a tune.
upload_2020-9-16_14-1-14.png
Now right-click on it., get the drop-down, and choose "copy link" and click on that ... you will be told that a link has been copied to your clipboard..
upload_2020-9-16_14-2-58.png
Now come back to here and hit Cntrl/V to paste it here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8z5qbbotll4m5t/RR000001.mp3?dl=0

If you wanna get "fancy", type whatever name you want to call it here, highlight that text, then click on the "Link" icon at the top of your post, and paste your dropbox link in the resultng input box ... and you end up with something like this.
A few Rancid bars

And you can then format that link's text just like you can any other text.
A few Rancid bars

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I THINK (?) I can figure it out now----I have only used it once and that was in a E-MAIL to Cpn Moto----it worked then--
I ran it through soundcloud--not my favorite anymore due to the commercials they run after your song.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I don't understand the point of NOT creating a Dropbox folder on your PC for anything that you want uploaded.
That way all I do is save my file to my hard drive (as I normally would), then right click on it to get the link. No need to add the steps of uploading to Dropbox. It happens automatically.

It's definitely a valid option.
I just don't like any more crap being loaded and staying resident on top of the operating system than is absolutely necessary (old school MS-DOS mentality). The more stuff that gets loaded up when you turn on your computer, the slower it becomes and introduces another possibility for a Windows Blue Screen of Death.

For me, the answer to the question of why not(?) is:
  • My paranoia overwhelms the convenience.
  • Also, I don't use Dropbox at all.

Elwood

Blues
Well here ya go Mike,
I don't use any cloud services for personal storage, except for dropbox (which I got to share files here). With Dropbox I manage my general distrust of cloud stuff by only using it when I have to. So, it is not in my boot list. If I need dropbox, I start it manually. (When I start dropbox the storage location does appear in file explorer.)
I use the free dropbox. Space is an issue. I do way better controlling what I put in (by using an additional manual step) than I do with housekeeping. When I have to remove files to control space it can get confusing and impact other members that may want to access a file I have stored.
So, I think Mike has a good point :thumbup: if you aren't overly concerned about storage bloat, and are maybe more careful than I about when you hit "save"....and....if you are comfortable with cloud stuff....and...you don't mind the hit on system resources to keep dropbox running in the background.
My dropbox fills too fast adding stuff manually...:(

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Well here ya go Mike,
I don't use any cloud services for personal storage, except for dropbox (which I got to share files here). With Dropbox I manage my general distrust of cloud stuff by only using it when I have to. So, it is not in my boot list. If I need dropbox, I start it manually. (When I start dropbox the storage location does appear in file explorer.)
I use the free dropbox. Space is an issue. I do way better controlling what I put in (by using an additional manual step) than I do with housekeeping. When I have to remove files to control space it can get confusing and impact other members that may want to access a file I have stored.
So, I think Mike has a good point :thumbup: if you aren't overly concerned about storage bloat, and are maybe more careful than I about when you hit "save"....and....if you are comfortable with cloud stuff....and...you don't mind the hit on system resources to keep dropbox running in the background.
My dropbox fills too fast adding stuff manually...:(

All great points to consider, but none of them bother me much. I bought extra space (at $100/year for 1tb, it's a good deal.)
I probably waste space on my account, but if/when that becomes an issue, I'm organized well enough to know where to go look to recover space.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
All great points to consider, but none of them bother me much. I bought extra space (at $100/year for 1tb, it's a good deal.)

Likewise—in fact, until this past year I had a 2TB business account. When I was running a digital animation studio, sending and receiving several gigabytes of graphic and sound files a day, DB was utterly essential to operations. I've grown so used to it I kept the 1TB personal account and that's where I store stuff I want to be available between my laptop, my desktop, and my tablet (and my wife & I share a folder for household stuff). I really couldn't imagine doing without it these days.

The files are protected by military-grade encryption and, while I'm not given to an overabundance of trust, the folks who run the thing have a vested business interest in keeping their reputation clean.