Another ah ha moment from SWS

giayank

Just another day in paradise
   Jamming with some backing tracks last night I was playing in A . I was moving around the neck playing the four note solo Idea in different positions starting or anchoring to and A note . What I noticed is if I play the A on the 12th fret A string and slide up to the next position of the A box that starts on the G string on the 14th fret that A note is the root note of the 4th minor pentonic box.
  By doing this I can transition from the box shape of SWS  four note approach to the pentatonic boxes by using the root notes of the boxes as my jumping off or on points . This works for all the keys when starting on the 5th string . I havn't figured out what boxes the other strings will lead me to . That's my home work for tonight .  ;)

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Hi giayank....I'm also having all kinds of ah ha moments with SWS. Like you, I'm finding root notes to anchor off more easily than I ever have before. It's only been a few lessons and I'm already more comfortable navigating around the fret board.

All during BGU I was basically following a blueprint note for note learning the solos (which was a great thing) and not really knowing where I was on the neck. Now, learning to anchor off the same root note on different strings and for different keys is not only opening up the fret board but actually starting to make sense.

I remember as a kid my instructor gave me scale homework every week. I memorized them note for note not knowing what the hell it meant. I only knew for sure that if I didn't know that scale for the following Saturday he would make me stay late until I learned it. Now, I think I enjoy the theory part more than the playing sometimes.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
agree with you guys...love it when the brain can put together things with the fingers...for me, it's always a "why didn't I think of that?" moment... :-?...that's the same way the major and minor "boxes" are beginning to work for me...besides playing them, I'm trying to figure out the theory...fun...later.

cowboy

giayank

Just another day in paradise
  Cowboy I'm doing good this time only took me 2 yrs . Some stuff I still haven.t figured out after 62 yrs . ;)

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
  Cowboy I'm doing good this time only took me 2 yrs . Some stuff I still haven.t figured out after 62 yrs . ;)

got ya beat...63 years and sometimes still WTF... ;)...but at least we're still having fun... [smiley=beer.gif]...later.

cowboy