"and" or "uh"

TxStrat

Lovin’ the journey of life and the blues
If I see a barred 8th note in a blues tune that uses metric modulation/shuffle feel, how do I know if the 2nd part of it lands on the "and" or the "uh" when counting it out? Most of the time I'm finding it's the "uh" but sometimes it's the "and" and I'm having a hard time finding out the difference.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Should be on the "uh" by default - if not, it should be written explicitly as an eighth-note triplet with two (triplet) eighth notes and an eighth rest.

Do you have an example where the 2nd note is played on the "and"?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If you're listening to someone else doing the counting.....

Some will count (1 and ) uh.

Some don't say the "and" but leave "space" before the "uh". Just 1......uh.

Sometimes they'll actually say 1 and, with the "and" where the "uh" goes, as if the "and" from straight was "delayed" from halfway to 2/3 of the way.

This may be the confusion.

You'll hear Griff use each way at different times.

It's just preference.

1...and...uh
(1 and)..uh
1............uh
1............and

Last edited:

TxStrat

Thanks guys, that answered my question. I went back and rewatched and listened and I misheard the first time through. I haven’t seen the eighth note triplet with the rest yet but I’ll know now what it means.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Well I went and put my Griff hat on and did a quick little video to show what I was talking about.

But it wasn't quick enough.

In the meantime you have already replied. (y)

I'll post it anyway.

It may be useful to others. This comes up quite often.

At about 0:40, without realizing it, I cut the notes short (even though I just said I'm holding the first note o_O), which would be notated with an 8th rest between the 2 notes. :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ax8xz4x0gnbmq2k/shuffle.m4v?dl=0

Last edited:

TxStrat

Thanks Paleo, that was really helpful and also really useful for practicing the different ways of counting since they’ll all come. I really appreciate you taking the time to make the video.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
In some of Griff's earlier videos, he played the third triplet as a delayed "and", in later videos he counted 1 and uh 2 and uh