An interesting discovery

Discussion in 'SWS Questions' started by luckylarry, Jun 5, 2010.

1. luckylarry

luckylarry Student Of The Blues

While practicing SWS today I was reviewing the first few lessons on bends, hammer ons etc. I found that to mute a bend when taking the string back to its original position I often forget to mute with my right hand. What I started to do was mute using my pick. It worked great for me. Then I realized that when you are bringing the string to its original note you can do this by letting the string run over the pick just before it is fully in position. It automatically plays the note for you and you don't have pick it. :)

2. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

Interesting Larry, very interesting however you'll soon discover a vibration being picked up from the pick on the string at times & it is not something you would want to do on an acoustic for that very reason.
    If its working for you atm then go with it but be prepared to change if it does start giving off noise from vibration.

LP

3. 560sdl

560sdl Blues Newbie

I am still having trouble muting the "sympathy" bending noises when I do this stuff.  Man it is really bad when you add some heavy distortion and sustain.  That really accentuates the problem.

4. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Larry, I agree with LP, but an easy way to "fix" it is to do what I do, Don't mute with the pick, just mute with the tip of the finger holding the pick. (I usually use my thumb).

5. luckylarry

Thanks for the replies. I will try muting with the thumb or finger. My muting with my palm was just not working and using the pick seemed to be a better way for me. That is why I posted what I was trying, and that brought out what will likely be a better solution. Again thanks. :)

6. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

It takes awhile for new or fairly new players to get used to palm muting or muting of any kind really.It also happens to people who have played for a number of years even but due to the type of material they have been playing have no idea about muting either.
    I think that with some it might be that they link it ( palm muting ) to 2 seperate actions , pick/strum then mute , with quite a gap inbetween.It ofcourse can be done like that but also done in 1 motion.On solo Griff uses his palm Mike uses his thumb I use Jimi's secret technique -  ;)
    You'll get there Larry you have shown you are determined & that you are learning many of the techniqes from BBG etc.

LP

7. luckylarry

Thanks LP, I will get there. I have a habit of wanting to understand what and why I am doing something. Then my creative side kicks in and I try to see if I can do the same thing another way. Guess that is why my course progress seems slow but I feel the side roads that I take will help down the road.  :)

8. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

Larry - you so right!  Taking the time to mess with this stuff is so important - that's how you learn to improvise.  Take a given idea, then twist it around as many ways as you can; some of your variations will sound good, some not so good - all the while you're figuring out what you can do, what you can't and what to do if you do what you shouldn't have! ;)

9. smeg

smeg Blues Newbie

To mute a bend I usually just let the note ring as long as it should and then just lift my finger ever so slightly as I release.

10. jhagan421

jhagan421 Guest

Bother!  I thouyght I was really on to something!  I've found muting witht he pick works better than other methods...back to the drawing board...good post larry, it's better to catch these things early ;)

11. henryj

henryj Blues Newbie

I'm finding that some of the muting technics are just developing on ther own.  I don't really focus on getting them perfect as much as just being aware of them.  Just the other night I was noticing how much my muting has improved.  Another one of those "hey when did I learn that" moments.  I still have a ways to go though.

12. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

That's a good point Henry!  I never really focused that much on muting - it just kinda happens if you crank up your amp and you try to sound good.  necessity is the mother of invention!  :cool:

13. 560sdl

560sdl Blues Newbie

I am having a terrible time muting the strings when bending notes on the first solo "G Funk" in SWS.  I am getting awful sympathetic string noise which does not show up in the other positions playing the same patterns.  I am working on trying to palm mute it but I end up muting too much.

14. luckylarry

560 this is where I started to mute with the pick. Now on the advice of others I am trying palm mutes, or lifting my fingers. It is still not easy for me but I have started to work on the bend by its self and using the different tecniques. I think there is progress but for me it will take some time.

15. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

Any bends in particular on that solo or all of them ?

LP

16. luckylarry

LP, all of the bends are on the E string at the 8th fret.

17. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

Well, how about that ?

LP

18. luckylarry

So what has happened is that when I do the bend, I have a problem muting when the note is done. As I said at the beginning of the thread I found that I could easily mute the string with my pick easier than with my palm or just lifting my fingers. I also found that if the next note was at the 8th fret on the E string I could just let the string run over my pick on the way down so I did not have to pick the next note.
    I am now getting better at lifting my fingers and muting the note. For some reason palm muting and I are strangers.

19. 560sdl

560sdl Blues Newbie

My problem is muting the unwanted noise from the lower string.  I am getting the muting if the main note to cut off the noise.  With the extra noise in there it sounds bad.