Amps

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
Is there a course on how to use an amplifier? I find it pretty challenging. Artists have specific sounds and songs have specific sounds and I find it a bit of a challenge to emulate those and get what I want.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
There was a great video floating around of Matt Scofield talking about how he dials in his amps and/or pedals, basically he turns each knob and finds the edge of where it has the most effect and then tweaks from there, as to trying to nail the sound of individual artist? I hope you got deep pockets

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
As you said there are Artists that have specific sounds and there are songs that have specific sounds. The number is nearly infinite, so I can't imagine a course that could cover it all.
I'm not aware of any of Griff's courses that focus just on amps. Since most players create their sound using more than just the amp, just focusing on the amp will seldom get you the sound that you want.

If you are an All Access Pass member, most months we get two live gear sessions per month and he is always asking for suggestion one what we want the sessions to be. Beyond that, I think there may be some amp stuff in How To Solo Like BB King and definitely some in the Sunshine Of Your Love Workshop.

Maybe narrow it down to a specific song you are trying to emulate. If you can narrow down your question, I'll bey you can get some answers here. Specifying an artist might be tougher because many of them change their gear & sound for that matter over the years ( for instance Cream era Clapton sounds different from modern era Clapton).

You might find some stuff here:
https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/getting-guitar-tones-start-with-the-guitar/

Last edited:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Exchanges of views on guitar tone have a tendency to go on for days if not weeks! But consider this , the tone you hear on a particular record will probably have been 'engineered' to a greater or lesser degree
by the producer/ mixing engineer. Especially since the advent of digital technology which makes track editing/manipulation relatively easy. Certainly at the very least, some compression and EQ will have been added.
There is also the question of whether the tone actually comes from the way it's played, which, in my opinion is probably correct. For what it's worth, I have stopped trying to sound like someone else and tried to find a tone I am happy with from my own perspective. We are all unique in how we play in some respects and I believe we should use that as a strength. As always, only my opinion so may not be worth much :cautious:.

ronico

rainyislandblues
There was a great video floating around of Matt Scofield talking about how he dials in his amps and/or pedals, basically he turns each knob and finds the edge of where it has the most effect and then tweaks from there, as to trying to nail the sound of individual artist? I hope you got deep pockets
I was going to suggest setting every thing to 12 o'clock and tweak from there but either method might get you where you want to go. Also try setting guitar controls rolled off a bit to start and see what that does (leaves a bit more tweak room) Of late have been experimenting alot with amp tweaking. Let us know? ( was gonna say something about playing with my knobs but not in this (tough) crowd:censored::sneaky:)

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
as said above how long is a piece of string,,,,,,even on a basic level of what is the amp circuit? ie a fender/vox/marshall all sound different