Alt Pent #2: I disappear down the rabbit hole.....

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Please keep in mind, I have to live with my obsessions. I realize you don't. But Griff's the one that always gets me started.

(And I've been ignoring learning my SRV.)o_O

I started experimenting playing Em or Bm pentatonic over the 4th the measure of a Blues in A and I thought:

What if I play Em or Bm pentatonic over an entire chorus of a blues in A, instead of just over the 4th measure?

I already know I can play Am over the whole thing.

Then when I plotted out all the notes in the 3 scales* and combined** them, I realized it's a A Dorian/D Mixolydian scale (or any other mode of G Major).

Each of the minor pentatonic scales (and their Relative Majors) is a "subset" of those 2 modes.

Woo Hoo!!:whistle:

So I slapped a 5 chorus Slow Blues in A into Audacity and recorded over it as follows, staying with the same scale over each chorus (mostly just up and down each scale):

1) Em pent (Box 3)
2) Bm pent (Box 5)
3) Am pent (Box 1)
4) A Dorian (Standard 2 Octave from 6th string A)
5) D Mixolydian (same as A Dorian, but from D on the 5th string)

Not a "bad" note to be found.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/e2l9q9ceslin3vj/Messin' 'round 5 choruses.mp3?dl=0

Am = A C D E G
Em = E G A B D
Bm = B D E F# A

They all have A, D & E.

But since not all notes are in common, they're not Relative to each other.

Even though their Diatonic "parents" are.

What??

**Combined:

A B C D E F# G = A Dorian
D E F# G A B C = D Mixolydian

Same as combing A Maj and A min pentatonic.:whistle:

I'm assuming the hole goes even deeper.:sneaky:

(And I've already been in it for the last 5 years.)

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Very interesting, and I believe that you have found something very important! All the notes you played sounded like they were a perfect complement to the piece of music. Please forgive what I am about to say, and it is not meant to be in anyway negative, but a means of exploring your finding even further. .

Your finding is something that will allow a Blues player to gain confidence, and could be used as an important exercise. Add to those progressions, a few basic techniques. A pause, slide, bend, hammer on, pull off, at the right place to make it sound like a conversation!

As you were playing, I was creating a song out of your progression in my head. I heard some really fantastic music. I just eliminated some notes, and imagined manipulating the notes with the above mentioned techniques, thrown in here and there.

That was so neat! I really think that we should explore this further. :cool:

Thank you. :):Beer:

Tom

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
This very subject came up in the latest video with Justin Sandercoe and Captain Lee, it happens towards the end if you want to jump ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-2Gcj6RoNA

I just watched the section at the end, but I like what he is saying. The big part is around the 50 minute mark.

He starts by saying if you are playing blues in A, the notes of the G major scale will work over it, but the key (bad pun intended) he eventually gets to is that you are not playing a G major scale and cannot think of it as a G major. You are playing A Dorian and the notes you land on and emphasize are going to be A minor notes. The 7 notes in the A Dorian just happen to be the same as the 7 in G major, but they are not the same scale. A Dorian is better thought of as the A minor pentatonic with two extra notes.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Before we get too far off on a Modal tangent, I just want to bring this back to the original concept Griff discussed during the last AAP Live Session concerning "Alternate Pentatonics".

The idea is to use a different pentatonic scale from the "usual" for a brief time. One suggestion was using the Em pentatonic over the 4th measure of a Blues in A leading into the IV chord, rather than staying on A minor (or A Major). Then coming back over the IV.

This is what I was discussing in my "Alt Pent" post prior to this one.

In this one, I just wanted to see what it would sound like to use an "Alternate Pentatonic" scale over the whole progression, i.e. what would Em or Bm pentatonic sound like over a whole Blues in A as opposed to using Am throughout.

Now, concerning the Modes of G Major discussed in Justin's video.

G Ionian-------->G A B C D E F#----->G Major Pentatonic----->G A B D E
A Dorian-------->A B C D E F# G----->A Minor Pentatonic----->A C D E G
B Phrygian----->B C D E F# G A----->B Minor Pentatonic----->B D E F# A
C Lydian-------->C D E F# G A B----->C Major Pentatonic----->C D E G A
D Mixolydian->D E F# G A B C----->D Major Pentatonic----->D E F# A B
E Aeolian------->E F# G A B C D----->E Minor Pentatonic------>E G A B D

Yes, the 7 note Diatonic modes all have the same notes, i.e. they are Relative scales.

Now back to "Alternate Pentatonics".

However, when you consider their respective 5 note Pentatonic scales (Major 1 2 3 5 6, minor 1 b3 4 5 b7) they do not all have the same notes.

The Pentatonic scales derived from these 6 Relative diatonic scales are not all relative to each other.

However, G Major & E minor are relative. So are D Major & B minor, as well as C Major & A minor.

So, now playing Em or Bm or Am over the Blues in A will all produce different, "Alternate" sounds.

They will all have A, D & E in common, but the notes not in common will, as always, be the spice to sprinkle in occasionally.

Last edited: