All this talk of Solos!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm sitting here trying to work my way through the exercises in Lesson 1 of the Solo section!
I think I need to go back to Pentatonic Scales and Mastery and do some review. Doing the Pentatonic Box 1 exercises is kicking my butt!

Examples 1-1 through 1-6 are good warm up exercises. Immediately changing the mindset (and fingerset) over for Examples 1-7 through 1-9 has me mumbling, "Mongo only pawn in game of life," and is starting to make me wonder what I've been doing these last few years. I dare not move until my brain gets wrapped around those exercises!

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
Ok - fessing up. I had to look up the Mongo reference.

That sound in Solo 1 should be in our DNA. Loop the progression and start soloing! Not hearing it? Take a drink (or whatever) and repeat. You'll get it. :Beer:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
yep, 1-1 thru 1-6 are straight out of PSTM. I started PSTM 3 or 4 times and never got past these exercises, so those first 6 are pretty familiar to me. After that he adds hammer ons & Pull offs for each pattern. Talk about Mongo brain!!!!

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Then I'm in trouble:cry:I'm getting Mongo brain playing patterns of 3 in a 4 count. Curren't can't get excersise 1.6 beyond 50% speed without screwing up the pattern:eek:

cheers

Al.