All hands on deck!!

sloslunas

NM Blues
I am looking for a Longboard Strat. They were made in 2016 and only 500 were produced. If you know of one, please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance...

Steve

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Those were some killer looking Strats. I think @CapnDenny1 has one, but he's probably not looking to part with it. If it's not him, somebody around here has one.

They show up on Reverb every few months (oddly enough, I have an email notification setup on those). One seems to show up every few months. Haven't seen one since maybe mid-summer, so it's about time another one pops up. Next one that does, I'll shoot you a link. And fyi, price is all over the map for them. I've seen them as low as $1500 and as high as $2500 and the condition always looks about the same...really good.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Got six of 'em...

images

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Why do you want one so bad, Steve? What is it about them that grabs you so? They are a very intriguing guitar to be sure, but one will command a primo price.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Yes, I do have one.

DSC_2844 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

No, not for sale.

I was lucky to find one back when. My wife went to San Diego for business and drug me along. Dang woman! We drove to the Fender factory and did the tour. On the tour the guide stopped and showed us a rack of them.

IMG_1052 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

IMG_1046 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

And check out this stack of solid rosewood necks! Man I have never been so tempted to shove something under my coat!

IMG_1021 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

The guide explained that the 10 for '15 was either 500 or 1000 runs of each instrument. He went on to say that not every dealer would even see one, since they had 3500 dealers in the USA alone. I was kind of pissed that I knew I would never own one. A lot of places showed them, but then said not available. I happened to be on Zzounds ogling a picture, and I though what the heck, I see if they have any waiting list, and it cam back as available? I figured they just made a mistake, so I tried it again, same thing...? A purchase like that would require permission from "she that must be obeyed". But I knew if I waited till I could OK it, then it would be gone. So I went ahead and ordered it. I had to put it on the 12 payment plan. It was $1500 or so. I didn't have the nerve to tell her for a bit, but when I saw it was being delivered, I finally fessed up and explained to her about seeing it on the tour, and it being limited, and would have lost it had I asked first..... Well, it was delivered, and I showed it to her and she looked at it, and said, "I like OUR new guitar!"

It is a great guitar. Only guitar I have that plays on par with it is my PRS CE24. It has an extremely lively acoustic sound to it, and yes, tonewoods do matter. I have the same pickups on another Strat guitar, and no they don't sound the same.

I actually modified it slightly. I put a 2nd string tree on it, because the D and G string were putting out ghost notes. I also added a metal braided shield to cover the wires in the back, and a copper shield in the control cavity. I also smudged the laser engraved Fender at the headstock with my clip on tuner. (Idiot!) I played it at my guitar recital from when I was taking lessons, so it's actually been on stage once!

My son has a history of pawning guitars and amps that I've given him as gifts. So for this one my wife said, that if anything happens to me that HE will not get this one. She is going to keep it for herself. So I told her, if he asks about any of them after I'm gone, just to tell him that she pawned them all! My only regret is that I won't be able to see the look on his face!

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
A shot of it today. I also put some walnut control knobs on the tone and volume pots. Note the 2nd string tree.

IMG_4836 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

Closeup of the walnut knobs? The selector knob cost as much as the 3 vol and 2 tone knobs. I have the extra tone somewhere.

IMG_4838 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

And the shielding. I hated to do it, but I couldn't stand the noise without it.

IMG_4837 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
Those were some killer looking Strats. I think @CapnDenny1 has one, but he's probably not looking to part with it. If it's not him, somebody around here has one.

They show up on Reverb every few months (oddly enough, I have an email notification setup on those). One seems to show up every few months. Haven't seen one since maybe mid-summer, so it's about time another one pops up. Next one that does, I'll shoot you a link. And fyi, price is all over the map for them. I've seen them as low as $1500 and as high as $2500 and the condition always looks about the same...really good.
Grassyass amigo, that would be greatly appreciated...

Steve

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I know that it wouldn't be the "real thing" but it seems to me that a guitar like that would make a great DIY project.

Jus' thinkin' out loud.

Carry on...

sloslunas

NM Blues
Okay...so I did inquire about capnDennys lead on Craigslist. the guy wanted 2k for his. I contacted him to say I might be interested. A few back and forths and he said he would not ship it to NM or anywhere else. It was a local pickup deal only (bay area). That being said, I countered his offer for 1,700 since I would need to compensate someone to pick up the guitar, box it up, and ship it to me. My offer was not accepted. So there you go. Grrrrr....

Steve