Advice on fingerpicking style

Tom_D

Blues Newbie
I've been working though Joseph Alexander's "Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" as a way to supplement ACBU and focus specifically on fingerstyle basics.

I'm a fairly novice player, and all the fingerstyle songs that I know how to play so far (before starting this book) are fairly simple travis-picking style songs with the thumb on the low 3 strings playing a bassline and the fingers on the high strings playing a melody. When doing this, my fingers are pretty much always planted on the same strings with the ring on the first string, middle on the 2nd, and index on the 3rd. This is fairly intuitive now and feels comfortable.

While working through chapter 1 of this book, one of the first pieces of advice it gives is to never use the same finger to play the same string twice. This book is the only place I've heard this, but it forms the basis for the method that the rest of the book builds upon. There are some great exercises to build up this skill by alternating between fingers on the picking hand (eg alternating between ring and middle or middle and index). However, I've hit a bit of a wall when the melodies start to get complex enough that my fingers are tripping over themselves. I know the answer is that there are no hard and fast rules, but if you were an absolute beginner learning this, which fingers would you use to pick the strings in order to build the best habits? See image for an example exercise:

OQln8h7.jpg

I've tried alternating always between ring and middle, or ring and index. I've tried ring and middle on the E and B strings and then middle and index on the G and D strings (this just kind of started to feel more natural than using only the middle and ring fingers). I've tried alternating between ring, middle, index through the whole piece.

I know I need to try to stick with one method, and I need to consciously think about it while I'm doing it otherwise I start picking the same string with the same finger in sequence.

I see some blues players playing with only the thumb and index, and I tried this and it felt good and I could play it, but that's probably setting myself up for bad habits down the road. I'm also very aware that I'm probably overthinking this!

Sorry for the wall of text! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm not a finger picker, but the VERY few songs that I do finger pick, I use my thumb on strings 5 & 6 and the rest fall on each string.
(index - 4th, middle - 3rd, ring - 2nd, pinky - 1st)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
In general it makes sense since using the same finger would require you to go back over the string before plucking it again.

But I’ve never been a proponent of always following “the rule”.

So…..

I’m gonna give the “usual” response.

Do what works best for you in a given situation.

And maybe follow the rule most of the time.

Reminds me of Griff's "story" regarding alternate picking. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
It sounds like you have some picking going on that is working for you. The text you are using teaches other methods, that's great! We all are here to learn and share. As you progress your views will change (at least mine do) along with your abilities. I suggest that you remain open to learning new techniques you use them to build on what you are already doing. That is what makes our playing individual to each of us.
You will most likely find the most robust support here if you are struggling with some of the material that Griff has prepared for us. He really has a ton of stuff that will challenge you and help you to progress.
Maybe an abstract yet relevant quote...

before-i-studied-the-art-a-punch-to-me-was-just-like-a-punch-author-bruce-lee.jpg

So, I think you do what you can do, learn what you can, and be open to change.

never use the same finger to play the same string twice
Oh yeah, and I don't have enough fingers! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welcome! and all the best Tom!!! :Beer:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I sat down to play the example you gave.

I played the very first 2 notes, both of which are on the same string, with the same finger.

Any beginners book I've ever seen has also notated which finger (pima) they want you to use as part of the notation/tab.

I'd be interested to see where/how the rule was stated. I’m assuming they mean consecutively. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me.

Last edited:

Tom_D

Blues Newbie
I sat down to play the example you gave.

I played the very first 2 notes, both of which are on the same string, with the same finger.

Any beginners book I've ever seen has also notated which finger (pima) they want you to use as part of the notation/tab.

I'd be interested to see where/how the rule was stated. I’m assuming they mean consecutively. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me.

Yeah, I'm beginning to this this is more just the author's preference than anything. For what it's worth, I've used several books by this author and have found them to be excellent, but in this case I may adapt to a style that's more comfortable for myself.

mDXdZzE.jpeg

gN2MaM9.jpg

AxlSSyY.jpg

Tom_D

Blues Newbie
It sounds like you have some picking going on that is working for you. The text you are using teaches other methods, that's great! We all are here to learn and share. As you progress your views will change (at least mine do) along with your abilities. I suggest that you remain open to learning new techniques you use them to build on what you are already doing. That is what makes our playing individual to each of us.
You will most likely find the most robust support here if you are struggling with some of the material that Griff has prepared for us. He really has a ton of stuff that will challenge you and help you to progress.

So, I think you do what you can do, learn what you can, and be open to change.

Oh yeah, and I don't have enough fingers! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welcome! and all the best Tom!!! :Beer:

Thank you, this is great advice. I know this isn't strictly an ACBU question but I figured that the folks here might have some good insights into this.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
There must be some kind of alternative.

But I can’t quite put my thumb on it.

Last edited:

Tom_D

Blues Newbie
I guess I phrased it unclearly in my initial post, but it should have been that my understanding of the text is "don't play the same string with the same finger consecutively."
Otherwise, you are right, you would run out of fingers pretty quickly and have to move on to toes.

Elwood

Blues
I guess I phrased it unclearly in my initial post, but it should have been that my understanding of the text is "don't play the same string with the same finger consecutively."
Otherwise, you are right, you would run out of fingers pretty quickly and have to move on to toes.
I believe you are experiencing a little welcoming initiation. :whistle: All in fun! :thumbup: There is always a time to buckle down and try something uncomfortable, and then figure out if and how to use it tastefully, whatever it is (I think so anyway). :whistle::whistle::whistle:
Most of here have been playing enough to have at least hit a few walls trying to learn. :confused: We all have opinions and advice. Some of these guys can even play ;) and do it well!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:I use the "hang around and hope some rubs off on me" technique. :D Always hopeful! :Beer:

When you get a chance take a look at the ABGU course. Good stuff in there that will fit right in with your efforts, some nice tunes to mess around with too. :thumbup:

Take care,

Jack

Blues Junior
I'd probably just use the index and middle fingers and alternate between them. I notice with the Christmas stuff I'm working on, if it's moving along at a pretty good tempo and then there are several notes on a single string, usually faster yet, I'll absentmindedly just use any old fingers, and it usually creates a trouble spot. If I pay attention and use the index and middle fingers, it usually fixes the trouble spot.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I've been working though Joseph Alexander's "Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" as a way to supplement ACBU and focus specifically on fingerstyle basics.
...all the fingerstyle songs that I know how to play so far (before starting this book) are fairly simple travis-picking style songs with the thumb on the low 3 strings playing a bassline and the fingers on the high strings playing a melody. When doing this, my fingers are pretty much always planted on the same strings with the ring on the first string, middle on the 2nd, and index on the 3rd. This is fairly intuitive now and feels comfortable.
!
I went through Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed a couple of years ago and I think what you describe as "comfortable" is where I ended up at the end of the course. My big realization, after I went back to the electric and a pick, was that I wasn't so "comfortable" returning to finger-picking. Dang! You still gotta practice?!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
My big realization, after I went back to the electric and a pick, was that I wasn't so "comfortable" returning to finger-picking. Dang! You still gotta practice?!

Roger that.

I was a pure acoustic “snob” for 25 years before I went electric. I was one of the first to mail order Happy Traum’s original fingerpicking course on cassette when he started Homespun Tapes (now Homespun.com).

I’m not one to blow my own horn (I would if I could), but I was pretty good.

That was back in my singer/songwriter/hippie days playing "clubs" out in California.

Now 25 years later, the last 8 with Griff, I can’t pick my way out of an acoustic guitar bag.

Although I did dust off an acoustic for this month’s Dylan challenge.

And I found those old tapes back in the
closet.

Who knows. ABGU could be next.

Attachments

• B002C500-E5CD-4775-AC59-5BADD55F24B1.jpeg
    B002C500-E5CD-4775-AC59-5BADD55F24B1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Roger that.

I was a pure acoustic “snob” for 25 years before I went electric. I was one of the first to mail order Happy Traum’s original fingerpicking course on cassette when he started Homespun Tapes (now Homespun.com).

I’m not one to blow my own horn (I would if I could), but I was pretty good.

That was back in my singer/songwriter/hippie days playing "clubs" out in California.

Now 25 years later, the last 8 with Griff, I can’t pick my way out of an acoustic guitar bag.

Although I did dust off an acoustic for this month’s Dylan challenge.

And I found those old tapes back in the
closet.

Who knows. ABGU could be next.
Ha! Paleo, is this familiar to you? (Maybe you have one in the stack under those tapes...)

Fingerpicking.jpg

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
It was even further back than that? 1972? :eek:

(Chicken or egg?)

Tabs were hand written and Xeroxed (?) on separate sheets.

I found my folder a few years ago, but couldn’t locate the tapes until yesterday.

The labels on the tapes are also handwritten.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dvs

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I knew it! Mine has a copyright date of 1969. I'm pretty sure I bought it in 1973.
Makes sense that he was publishing with Oak before he and Artie started their own company.

Thanks for jogging the ol’ memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: dvs