adjusting strings to making bending notes easier?

Bill_Sheehy

Blues Newbie
I'm a newbie ... just working my way thru BBG and already lusting after BGU! But I'm having a problem learning how to only get sound out of one string when bending a note. Does this mean the strings on my electric guitar needs an adjustment? Or is it simply a matter of more practising in order to get it right? Seems I heard or read somewhere something about changing the string tension. But wouldn't that change the pitch? Oh, woe is me........

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
That is something I experience occasionally.  I believe what you are noting is string noise from the adjacent string(s) during the bend.  I try to make sure I mute the strings above the bend with my left index finger. 

Think of using your index finger like you are making a bar chord.  You only need to have the tip up a string or two above the one you are bending.  (ie, if bending the B (2nd) string, you want to mute the G and D (3rd & 4th) strings to avoid the unwanted sounds.

I think this may help solve your problem.  After a while, it will become second nature to mute. 

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I haven't seen anything with regards to adjusting string tension and bending, but I have been struggling with the same issue as well. I found Griff's blog posts on bending to be very helpful. The two I am aware of are at:

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/string-bending-lesson-with-marty-schwartz/#

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/muting-unwanted-strings/#

Using the index finger to mute the immediately adjacent string as Geedub described, along with my right palm to mute the other strings has helped quite a bit.  Doing it quickly and smoothly is my biggest challenge now, but it seems to be improving with practice.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Could be a little of both - although practice would enable you to compensate for a poorly set up guitar to some extent.

If you've never had your guitar set up, I highly recommend it.  I'd recommend bringing it to one of the Fender authorized service centers (they are almost always authorized for all the major brands).

A poorly set up guitar can be a hindrance to learning - both in the playability of the guitar and in it's intonation (how well it can be tuned).

Here is a link to Fender's web site where you can find a service center:

http://www.fender.com/dealers/service_centers.php

:cool:

Bill_Sheehy

Blues Newbie
Hah! I like the suggestion, Wayne: "I'd recommend bringing it to one of the Fender authorized service centers..." but you see, down here in Tasmania, there just ain't no such center.

Guess that leaves me to the other answers; practice, practice, practice.

I'll soon be moving north, up into Queensland. As I recall, there is a large, popular blues music group, very active in the area I'll be moving into. There will likely be someone who can lead me to a guitar adjustment center.

thanks all.....

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Hah! I like the suggestion, Wayne: "I'd recommend bringing it to one of the Fender authorized service centers..." but you see, down here in Tasmania, there just ain't no such center.

Guess that leaves me to the other answers; practice, practice, practice.

I'll soon be moving north, up into Queensland. As I recall, there is a large, popular blues music group, very active in the area I'll be moving into. There will likely be someone who can lead me to a guitar adjustment center.

thanks all.....

OK - well, then take it to a music shop or guitar repair that is local.  I use the Fender list because I had a VERY bad experience with a music store that was not authorized and incompetent.  Any boob can put out a sign and say they do guitar repair - so buyer beware!

L

Lame_Pinkey

Hey AussieBill,

Yep down in Tasmania they probably wouldn't have even heard of the name "Fender"  let alone have an authorised repair centre - LOL - (relax Bill ,I'm originally from Victoria !) but as Wayne has said anyone can hang a sign out & say they are a guitar repairman - or as I'm finding here in the U.S.A. computer repairman  :eek: ) you should be able to find a good repairer though in Qld. Contact some local players perhaps when you get there - I believe there is a website/forum for blues in Qld. - they may be able to give you a name of someone near you who does good work. OK , you say you are a 'newbie'  so therefore the other 'problem' you are probably experiencing is that a lot of these things are new to you. You probably are not comfortable with bending & you also probably do not know what is a good string height for you. There is a certain level height that is "recommended"  by instructors, guitar magazines & websites as well as the manufacturers themselves but everyone is different - as we all know - & what feels great for one person does not feel all that good to another.Finding the right height for you is something that will happen over time & for the bending its going to be practice , practice etc on that but if you feel that you are "strangling" the life out of the guitar when bending then that means something is wrong in your  technique - now about changing string tension, yes you can do that by simply tuning down but if you do not understand the notes on you guitar very well then you will be making things very complicated for yourself.
Once you have an understanding of your guitar & its notes (& their relationships) you can tune down.
This maybe a bit long winded but i hope it helps some  :)

LP   :cool:

samwell

been here.....
Bill, regardless what else you do: muting adjacent strings, in whatever manner you're capable of, will be necessary to hear only one.... [smiley=beer.gif]

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Bill it may be as simple as you suspect. It may just be a matter of practice. When I started bending strings I would push down an up so hard my finger would get below the string above the one I was bending. No way to not have that string make a sound (noise) when I began the release. First thing I had to do was slowly do the bend while watching every step. Then I learned to use my middle finger with the ring finger on the bend. This allowed me to use less muscle and more technique and voila no more problems. Take the time to see what you are doing physically, make adjustments as necessary and then if that fails have someone that plays use your guitar to see if that is where the problem lies. Next step may be just lighter gage strings and work back to a 9 or 10 gage. Hope this helps.  [smiley=beer.gif]