Adding Inputs

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Thanks for that Cap'n. Very informative. Brings up a very valid point regarding time wasted when a flash of inspiration strikes. At the moment, all my flashes are caught on my Tascam DR-05, but sometimes my vocals are drowned out by the acoustic and can be hard to make out.

If I had my novation keyboard, guitar(s) and SM57 all plugged in permanently, I could just switch on the computer, lift whatever instrument I choose, and instantly lay down my thoughts, which would be great.

I must admit to wondering why when you got your focusrite, (considering the fact that most of your recordings are straight takes with just you and your guitar) you needed so many inputs. Now I know.:) Do you actually use more than two inputs?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks for that Cap'n. Very informative. Brings up a very valid point regarding time wasted when a flash of inspiration strikes. At the moment, all my flashes are caught on my Tascam DR-05, but sometimes my vocals are drowned out by the acoustic and can be hard to make out.

If I had my novation keyboard, guitar(s) and SM57 all plugged in permanently, I could just switch on the computer, lift whatever instrument I choose, and instantly lay down my thoughts, which would be great.

I must admit to wondering why when you got your focusrite, (considering the fact that most of your recordings are straight takes with just you and your guitar) you needed so many inputs. Now I know.:) Do you actually use more than two inputs?
Davy,
The only reason I added more inputs was for convenience.
I was considering adding a stand alone mic pre amp to improve vocals and acoustic mics.
The Focusrite OctoPre gave my 8 very good pre amps as well as doubling the number of inputs I have.

My recording technique is usually to record one or two tracks simultaneously so, two inputs would work for me most of the time.
With 16 inputs I have everything plugged in all the time , so it's just a matter of activating a track to add any source I want.
I also use a mixer as a hub for all the other sources like drum machines etc.

Here's my set up:
Inputs on my interface.......
Amp #1, Amp #2, Boss GT 001 (guitar effects processor) , Stereo inputs from mixer

Inputs on my mixer...
Beat Buddy, Digitech Trio, Korg Kaossilator Pro, Ipod, Tape Deck, Audio output from Computer

Inputs on my OctoPre
Vocal Mic #1, Vocal mic #2 , Vocal Mic #3 through TC Helicon G XT, Acoustic mic #1 & #2 , SM 57 from Amp # 3,

Yes....a lot of stuf, but it makes it so easy to sit down and start a session.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That's a lot of stuff indeed Cap'n. Could I ask why 3 vocal mic's?
Each sounds a little different.
I started out with a good old SM58....that was good, but to my ear lacked some clarity.
I added a Electro Voice RE 20 as an upgrade.
Both of those are dynamic mics.
Then I tried a condenser mic, (a Rode NT 1a) nice mic, but, I found that to be too sensitive for use in my situation.
It picked up too much room noise, now I use that as one of my acoustic guitar mics.
I replace that with my 3rd vocal mic (SM 7B) that I like for my voice.

The RE 20 and the SM 7B do a great job of rejecting sound behind the mic.
They can also be used for guitar amps.

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Thanks for that Cap'n. It makes my setup look exceptionally basic.:ROFLMAO: You do realise that I now have to go for the bigger focusrite???? You'll be getting a mention in my divorce proceedings!!:D It was him love!!!! He MADE me do it!!!:whistle:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks for that Cap'n. It makes my setup look exceptionally basic.:ROFLMAO: You do realise that I now have to go for the bigger focusrite???? You'll be getting a mention in my divorce proceedings!!:D It was him love!!!! He MADE me do it!!!:whistle:
I think I could have ended up with a more simple rig if I knew what I was doing when I started.
I probably would have started with an interface with lots of inputs and been done.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I can barely keep track of the six strings on a guitar, you guys are way more focused than me!
Hey PB,
Looking at this from a distance, It certainly can appear as a giant ball of confusion.
Actually, if you take a logical approach to laying out your recording system it's actually very basic.
Think about the gear required to playing electric guitar.
It's all about signal flow - Strings > Pickups > Cable > Pedals > Amp so, to a non-player it may look overwhelming.
The reality is, you can get lost in all the variations but, the signal flow is always the same.

When it comes to recording, It's the same.
Source > Pickup (mic) > Cable > Interface > DAW
You can add as many variations that you want but, It's always the same flow.

What we're talking about here is setting multiple signal paths (one for each source).

To me, It's kinda like having your acoustic guitar plugged into an acoustic amp, sitting next to your strat plugged into your amp, and having a bass plugged in and ready to go.
When the mood strikes, you just turn on the correct amp and start playing.
You probably won't play that bass if it's in the closet but, you might if it's ready to go.