Adding acoustic to my electric may be more difficult than I thought.

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
I'm supposed to get an acoustic guitar for my 70th birthday next month. I've been learning on an electric for the past 2 1/2 years. I've decided on a Taylor 114e.

Yesterday I stopped into my local shop to pick up a pack of strings. The have a 114ce (a 114e with a cutaway) hanging on the wall, so I decided to play around with it a little. Jeez, the higher action and heavier strings turned me from a mediocre player to an inept one. My guy at the shop told me he can lower the action for me, and maybe switch strings from 12s to 11s, but I'm still nervous as to whether I'm biting off more than I can chew with an acoustic.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
12's are pretty big for acoustic, in my case. I use 11s or 10s. They'll be an adjustment period

But once you master the acoustic you'll be amazed how much easier to play electric. Just take your time and you'll be fine, it's almost like playing a different instrument.

Last edited:

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
I'd say it kinda depends on what you're trying to do with an acoustic. If you're really trying to play all out blues with lots of bends, then, yeah, lighter strings are going to help. You could also sometimes adjust licks so that bends become slides a/o ho/po. Won't be the same, but will work. OTOH, you'll get better tone with heaver strings, and they'd be better for acoustic slide playing. Just like electrics, higher quality guitars are going to sound and play better. When I got my Larrivee D-10, I felt like I suddenly became a better player. I generally use 13s on that because they sound great. Yeah, I can't do more than a 1/2 step bend on anything other than the high E, but it's worth it to me for what I'm using it for (acoustic rhythm playing).

straightblues

Blues Junior
Since you are a little unsure, I would recommend going to the pawn shop and start trying out a bunch of their acoustics until you find one that sounds and feels good to you. You should be able to find plenty between $100 and $200. Remember, acoustics tend to sound better with age. Then take it home and play it. That way you can see if you like acoustics before spending bigger dollars on a Taylor you might find yourself never using.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Certainly a different experience, Electric/Acoustic.
Personally, I never want to fight with my instrument, I want to enjoy it.
That Taylor is a wonderful guitar but is it for you?
Good thing you played it!

My reco to everyone is always to play as many as you can and buy only if you find one that speaks to you.

Looks like you're near Minneapolis, there's got to be some good shops there, take a little day trip, pack a lunch and spend the day playing guitars.
If you find one you like buy it, don't go home and order a similar one online.
Pack your credit card if you go here:
https://davesguitar.com/

Can can tell you my own experience has landed me in an off-beat play with my acoustic.
Over the years, I've owed several acoustics and just never bonded with any of them.
Some day, I'm going on a true hunt for a "good" acoustic but what makes me happy right now is this:
It plays like an electric, sounds good and is a fantastic travel guitar.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/review-composite-acoustics-cargo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbQQn5sWB8c

Last edited:

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I guess I'm going to go against the grain here.. Number 1, it's your 70 birthday! Congratulations! Get the guitar you want... The 100 series guitars are very inexpensive but are extremely nice guitars for the money... You can buy a used one all day long for well under 500 bucks... Most important, if it feels good (comfortable neck profile/body shape) and it has the tone you are looking for, then grab it... Having a good setup done is critical to making any guitar play easier on your fretting hand... And I say this regardless of the manufacture (Taylor, Martin, Gibson, ZAGER!!, etc..).. 12's are actually light Gage strings for an acoustic.. With the right setup, 12's will play nice and easy... Unless you know what you are looking at (and you might), I would use caution buying from a pawn shop or even craigs list for that matter... Most people want more used than new... A guitar shop that you can trust might be a better option... Again, unless you know what you are looking at, then Craig's list is fine..

It will take time to get used to playing an acoustic, but I can tell you will adapt quicker then you think... I have the opposite issue, I can't play an electric guitar.. Body is too skinny and strings are too floppy... :)...

P.S. Also, some guitars are made to be strung with light gage (12's) strings and are short scale.. Consider those in you hunt as well.. Good luck!! Keep us posted!!

Last edited:

jackderby52

Since you are a little unsure, I would recommend going to the pawn shop and start trying out a bunch of their acoustics until you find one that sounds and feels good to you. You should be able to find plenty between $100 and $200. Remember, acoustics tend to sound better with age. Then take it home and play it. That way you can see if you like acoustics before spending bigger dollars on a Taylor you might find yourself never using.

I get what you are saying, but a $100/$200 acoustic might send him in the opposite direction... He might get extremely lucky and find a rare bird, but I would guess not... You want an acoustic that will inspire you...

Last edited:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I'm supposed to get an acoustic guitar for my 70th birthday next month....
Jeez, the higher action and heavier strings turned me from a mediocre player to an inept one. My guy at the shop told me he can lower the action for me, and maybe switch strings from 12s to 11s, but I'm still nervous as to whether I'm biting off more than I can chew with an acoustic.
Happy 70th Mark! I think I know just what your feeling about the acoustic, but go for it!...you’ll be able to play it!
I had been playing on an electric for the past 40 years and when I started ABGU - a couple of years ago - I was really shocked at how much more handstrength was required. Throw in finger-picking and I felt very intimidated by the acoustic. It really is a different animal than an electric, but if you’re patient I’m sure you can get whatever it is you want from the acoustic...and your fingers will get stronger! So get a good one!

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Yes, go for it! The only thing I'll add is leave the action and the 12's for now and give it time to get used to. You can always change it later if you want. Enjoy that Taylor. (y)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Yes, go for it! The only thing I'll add is leave the action and the 12's for now and give it time to get used to. You can always change it later if you want. Enjoy that Taylor. (y)

I second that, it is different, body feels different, give it some time..................plus a set up

My epiphone masterbilt, feels very similar and plays similar to my Les Paul, I can go from one to another with no issues

I have gone to lighter strings over time, but thats only because I do more bends with it, wasnt it

@Griff who said, "How do you do bends on an acoustic, you buy an electric"

Most of the guys I know who do heavy bends on an acoustic also tune down to make it easier

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
My hands have always been on the weaker side (tendonitis in my 20s never really goes away because I won't stop playing) so I run 11s on my acoustics and bending just doesn't really happen except the middle of the fretboard on the 1st or 2nd strings - and even then I have to think long and hard about how badly I want that sound and if it's worth it :)

david moon

Attempting the Blues
My hands have always been on the weaker side (tendonitis in my 20s never really goes away because I won't stop playing) so I run 11s on my acoustics and bending just doesn't really happen except the middle of the fretboard on the 1st or 2nd strings - and even then I have to think long and hard about how badly I want that sound and if it's worth it :)
Wow Griff that was kind of surprising. It doesn't seem to hold you back on electric.

BTW love the new album and passing it around to coworkers who are players. Maybe you will get some more buyers or even students.

Elwood

Blues
Taylor gs mini.

You really should try a couple of those out.

My Martin mmv sounds great. wears 12s.

My 314ce is sweet. I got a non-V model new on clearance, plays great, sounds great. Wears 11s.

I absolutely love my gs mini koa. Sound, playability, fun, beautiful wood. 800 bucks for koa, less for other tops. Solid wood top regardless of which you choose. That mini snugs in under my arm and buzzes my ribs in a delightful way. With 12s it is very easy on fingers. Does sound better with 13s. Mine now wears 13s.

Don't cut yourself short shopping. The mini is awesome and fits in your price range if you are looking at 100 series Taylor's.

jackderby52

The mini's are great, but pay attention to a smaller neck (width)... I found it very tight down low in the cowboy area… I gave it to my kid and he loves it… I replaced the mini with a martin D-JR (500 bucks)… It has a standard nut width of 1 and 3/4 so it feels more like a full size guitar… It may not matter to you but I’m just pointing it out…