Add 9 confusion

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
On page 46 of the CAGED Unleashed manual Griff has referenced a G7(add 9) chord (b7, 3, 5, and 9) but doesn't explain it in the associated video. I understand that an add 9 chord is a major triad with an added 9th but no 7th as opposed to a ninth chord which includes the 7th. But a G7(add 9) chord must by definition include the 7th so how does a G7(add 9) chord differ from a G dominant 9?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
...how does a G7(add 9) chord differ from a G dominant 9?

Watching the video and going back one page to 45, he's talking about taking a "basic 7" chord and describing various ways to add other notes to it: 9,11 & 13.

In each case he starts with the same G7 chord (E shaped little chord) to the far left (in the video as well) and shows where to "add" notes working across to the right.

I think in the case of the G7(add 9) he's just being consistent in his description of what he is actually demonstrating, i.e adding notes (a 9) to a G7 chord. He's just emphasizing that he's adding a 9 to the same little G7.

If he were just describing the chord by itself in a different context in a different lesson he would probably call it a G9.

(Actually on page 45 he first started with a D7, added the 9, and called it a D9, as you would expect. Same difference.)

At least that's what I'm goin' with.

Last edited:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I don't have the course but Paleo seems to be on the right track. When I think of "add 9" I think of chords without a 7
like a C with an added D X32033

or a D with the third dropped to 2/9 XX0230

or an A shape X02200

sometimes called a "sus 2" (suspended) because it wants to resolve back to the 1 or the major 3.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Good stuff! †his is convincing me I really, really need to crack open this course and take a look.

So much guitarrin', so little time. :confused:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
So is it safe to assume that there's no such thing as a 7th add 9 chord?
Good question...I just googled it and found "C7 (add 9) COMMON NAME: C9." I think there is such a thing, but it's just called a ninth chord.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
So is it safe to assume that there's no such thing as a 7th add 9 chord?

I wouldn't go so far as to say there's no such thing.

Just that you might call it something else.

I think there is more than one way to name a chord.

Nomenclature and theory exist to help the "reader" understand what the "writer" is trying to convey, not dictate how things "must" be done.

In this case Griff is saying that he's taking a G7 chord and demonstrating how to add a 9, an 11 and a 13.

So he could have been consistent and said G7add9, G7add11 and G7add13.

In another context, G9, G11 and G13, in which case the b7 is understood to be present.

If no b7, Gadd9, Gadd11 and Gadd13.

Yes, "normally" you probably won't see a G7add9.

But if you do, you'll know what the writer is trying to convey.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Notice that one chord he calls "G13 With 9 On Top".

Describes exactly what it is, but maybe not a very technical, "correct" name?