About finished with BBG

kdmccarty

Blues Newbie
I am almost finished with BBG after about 2 months. It was a good introduction and I don't regret it at all but probably too basic. Moving on soon to BGU as well as probably theory and either SWS or Pent scales. Any advice would be welcomed.
Ken

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I think you could do BGU in conjunction with the theory course, but you'll find that BGU is a handful in itself. You won't be finishing it in two months, that's for sure. Anyway, congratulations on getting BBG under your belt.  :cool: [smiley=beer.gif]

bills10733

Blues Newbie
I went through BBG, and then moved on to BGU.  I also have other courses and thought that I could do both, but BGU has proven to be plenty.  There is actually a lot of theory and material similar to SWS as well.  BGU is a great course... would be a handful on it's own.

Bill

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think you are on the right path.
BGU (or ABGU) next for sure. If you want to add some other things for a change of pace, doing GTMU is a good one to do in parallel. Once you have gotten through the first couple of solos in BGU, you might want to add SWS. Adding SWS is what helped my soloing take off.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Thx guys. Any comparison on BGU vs ABGU?
It has been some time since I completed BGU and ABGU, so my answer to your question may not be as complete as I would like.

BGU is great for an electric guitar, which allows you to do bends, and vibrato with relative ease compared to an acoustic guitar.  It also is heavy on lead guitar if that is what you like. Also, you will use a pick! 

ABGU allows the use of a variety of right hand techniques using a pick, finger style, and hybrid picking.  If you want to be your own orchestra, this is a good way to go.  You will not require a bass, rhythm guitar or drummer!  You are on your own!   :cool:

Which is my favorite?  Both! 

Tom         

vashondan

Blues Doobie
It has been some time since I completed BGU and ABGU, so my answer to your question may not be as complete as I would like.

BGU is great for an electric guitar, which allows you to do bends, and vibrato with relative ease compared to an acoustic guitar.  It also is heavy on lead guitar if that is what you like. Also, you will use a pick! 

ABGU allows the use of a variety of right hand techniques using a pick, finger style, and hybrid picking.  If you want to be your own orchestra, this is a good way to go.  You will not require a bass, rhythm guitar or drummer!  You are on your own!   :cool:

Which is my favorite?  Both!  Tom's description is accurate.  I'd just say that if you're bent is electric go with BGU.

Tom         

+1 I'm almost there with both and have enjoyed both. 

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Guess I really didn't answer your question after looking at your post. SWS will help with learning to solo and is kind of a quick start for that learning 4 note patterns around the neck.  The Pentatonic course helps with the development of speed, dexterity and strength. Lots of great exercises to help with technical skills.

Ken,

Congrats on wrapping up BBG. 

There is so much in bgu that could be played in different keys or with different rhythms that i wonder if i will ever "finish" getting all the value out of it.

I've not looked at ABGU, or the theory, scales or sws materials.  So i'm no help there. 

i have "5 easy blues solos" which i will practice with in July while i take a month off from bgu.  The videos in 5ebs are slower/more detailed than bgu. Same teaching format...tab/CD/DVD.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Another consideration if you purchase ABGU is that you should have an acoustic guitar!  That was what “inspired me” to add a Breedlove Acoustic Guitar to my collection!   :)  You may not have any interest in Acoustic Guitar, so do what is of most interest to you.

SWS is a good step to take after BGU, as well as "5 easy blues solos".  The latter is a shorter course and the former is more detailed.  If you want more “bang for your buck” and to learn more about soloing in a shorter time, I would suggest "5 easy blues solos" first, followed by SWS which is a meat and potatoes course. 

Tom

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Congrats on finishing up BBG and wanting to further your playing . BGU to me is the logical next step for an electric blues player . Half way through BGU I started SWS and the theory course . Half way through those I got " 5 easy blues solos ' with my last course " BGIAB " . As you can see I have ADD along with a compulsive disorder . I have to say my guitar playing reaches a new better more musical level with each course . I seem to try and learn the basic concepts of each course and then try to incorporate them into my own playing . I'm not a practice note for note kind of guy . ;)

kdmccarty

Blues Newbie
Thanks everyone for the detailed answers. I gravitate to the acoustic guitar more than the electric honestly. Really enjoy the woody tonality and percussive attack and body. Would love to be a better electric player but don't have the technique yet so maybe BGU is the way to go to force me to get better in that arena. I know there is overlap and that in the BBG Griff played both acoustic and electric so I hope no matter which I choose I will be happy just to learn more and progress. Once again thanks all!!

L

LynnLaFrance

Congrats on wrapping up BBG.  I did BBG as a refresher too, before starting BGU.  Glad I did, everything was fresh in my mind again and the momentum I built up in BBG helped me get a great start on BGU.

As has been mentioned, the Theory course you can really do at any time.  Whichever course or solos you choose to do next, Griff will be there to help you get the most out of it!

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Congratulations on finishing up BBG.  I too started with BBG and I'm now onto ABGU.  Moving slowly but having a good time.  I'm not certain about BGU, but if you have an acoustic and play solo to amuse yourself and your friends, I'd definitiely recommend ABGU.  Also, if you're a fan of acoustic blues,  I would think this is the way to go.  Good luck in whichever avenue you decide to take!