A Question before I dive into the Kit.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Is it possible to copy a lick from Griff's manual and paste it into GP6. I can't seem to do it. I can copy the lick but when I go to paste it into GP6 the paste option is greyed out.

Do I need to insert each note individually?

When I bought Sibelius 7 First a few years ago it came with two other softwares that I've never used and completely forgotten about, one is called Photoscore Lite. It is supposed to be able to take scans of printed music or import a pdf of music and be able to export it as a MusicXML file, which is importable into GP6.

After reading this post from Ivan it jogged my memory so I thought I'd try it out to see if it could do what Ivan was asking. Well, you can't copy and paste but you can import the entire pdf file and edit out what you don't want, which is probably just as good in some cases and better in other cases.

For this test I imported the pdf file of TORE DOWN that Griff gave us for BGU live into Photoscore. The software immediately went into OCR'ing the notes without my having to click on anything. After about 45 seconds it had completed its translation. You can see in the "Read Pages" section of the lower left that it read and did a translation on all four pages of the pdf and the main editing screen has the notes where you can edit any errors, or add or subtract notes, change key transpose it etc. You can also see the "zoom" screen to highlight notation where the cursor is in the top right corner:

Screenshot 2016-08-27 18.57.23.png

Without changing a thing so I could see how good the translation would be by letting it do it without intervention from me I did a FILE --> SAVE AS... and chose MusicXML as the format so I could import it into GuitarPro 6.

This forum won't let me attach an XML file so I've put them in my dropbox, both the XML file created by Photoscore and the saved GP6 file (after importing into GuitarPro and doing another SAVE AS... as a GPX file).

TORE DOWN XML

TORE DOWN GPX

(let me know if you have trouble downloading the files, I've only used dropbox for .mp3 or .wav files before)

There are a few little glitches which I have left in the files so you can see what imperfections there are but I think it did a great job of translating a pdf into a file that can be used by GuitarPro 6. Nothing that can't be easily fixed in the editor.

I don't know if I can post the original pdf that Griff gave us but it you want to compare it with the files above send me a PM (conversation) and I'll give you the dropbox link privately.

Here is a screen shot of GP6 after the "Save as..."

Screenshot 2016-08-27 19.16.45.png

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Wow.....That is so cool. I have to check out this software out.

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback.....AND...the effort behind it all!