a question about counting outloud...

Bill_Sheehy

Blues Newbie
I read the post on this subject, but didn't find the answer to my question. Working my way along the fretboard, picking out the notes/chords is going pretty good.. at least I'm enjoying myself. However learning the knack of picking, strumming and counting is leaving me in a dither! Picking, uh huh... stumming, uh huh ... but doing all this while counting... huh uh.
Griff says counting is important and logic tells me he's right. So, how do I learn the art? Without this, I'll always be out of time.
Am I making this too hard?
Is there a simple, 'should have read/listened' instruction I passed over?
Will someone save me?
Thanks......
Billy

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Billy, as strange as it seems at this time counting out loud while strumming a chord or picking a note or even singing just takes practice. You will find that you can do it but you must go slow at first. I suggest doing something really simple such as 1/4 notes set to a metronome of about 60. Just turn on the metronome and pick a note with each pulse and count,1,2,3,4. It will drive you mad because it is 1 note per second. I chose this speed for 2 reasons, first it is really hard to play that slow. Secondly, when you add in the 1/8 and 1/16 notes this second between beats seems to be pretty fast at first. Now, just do this for a few minutes until you are too bored then play some fun stuff. Never stop when you are frustrated or bored. Hope this helps.  :)

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
agree with LL1....it's mostly about practice....if you watch some of the better players (SRV comes to mind because I just got done watching one of his DVD's), you'll see them keeping time or "count" with their feet...after a while it becomes a habit....again, at's about practice...later.

cowboy

Bill_Sheehy

Blues Newbie
Thank you LuckyLarry and Cowboy ...
I suppose, way down deep, I knew the answer would be practice, practice, practice... so much of learning to play ends up there.
LL, your comment on following the metronome is a good place to start... and that is exactly the hint I was looking for.
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help out.
Ain't this fun?

Now I gotta go practice..... [smiley=beer.gif]

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Thank you LuckyLarry and Cowboy ...
I suppose, way down deep, I knew the answer would be practice, practice, practice... so much of learning to play ends up there.
LL, your comment on following the metronome is a good place to start... and that is exactly the hint I was looking for.
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help out.
Ain't this fun?

Now I gotta go practice..... [smiley=beer.gif]

Aussie Bill,
here's a link to an online metronome that I love. You can set it to any style drum click and speed. Eliminates the relentless insanity inducing click that can lead my wife to grabbing the frying pan ;D

http://www.rinki.net/pekka/monkey/

panther

Blues Newbie
Aussie;
As with anything you are trying to learn, if at first you can't do it, slow it down, until you can, even if it's 30 BPM. Then gradually build up.
Dan

Bill_Sheehy

Blues Newbie
One and all: Thank you ... and guess what? In this morning's email, Griff had sent another of his great videos: Strumming And Rhythm Mastery – Video 1... all about, you guess it; strumming and keeping time by counting! What perfect timing!

Spent the best part of a half-hour with it and feel as if the light bulb overhead is flashing! A bit more work with this and I'll feel comfortable about moving on to the next phase of my musical career: getting and working with the BGU lessons!

Look out SRV, this old fart is coming up fast!

Oh, and made possible by y'all................ [smiley=wink.gif]
billy