Recording A new Spark app video recording feature

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Sorry about all the Spark-related posts but someone may find this useful. I honestly don't own stock in Positive Grid but am really enjoying the app and amp. I recently opened a support ticket because the app kept crashing when I would request a chord analysis on a song. A few days ago I received an email saying that they had resolved the issue and that the fix is available in the update that they had just released the same day. I updated the app to confirm that it now works properly (it does) and noticed that they just added a new feature with the update.

The app now allows you to record a video of yourself playing using either the front or back camera on your phone or tablet. The guitar plays through the amp and records using whatever preset you selected, together with an optional backing track that has been saved to your device. You can then trim the video and save it to your device, or share it to social media or YouTube. I gave it a quick try and it seems to be very quick and easy to use. I have been working on my bass playing and have started to record videos to post to a FB bass group I belong to for feedback. This seems like very useful feature for doing that, BGU challenge submissions, or anything else in which a video would be handy.

jporzelius

Blues Junior
Sorry about all the Spark-related posts but someone may find this useful. I honestly don't own stock in Positive Grid but am really enjoying the app and amp. I recently opened a support ticket because the app kept crashing when I would request a chord analysis on a song. A few days ago I received an email saying that they had resolved the issue and that the fix is available in the update that they had just released the same day. I updated the app to confirm that it now works properly (it does) and noticed that they just added a new feature with the update.

The app now allows you to record a video of yourself playing using either the front or back camera on your phone or tablet. The guitar plays through the amp and records using whatever preset you selected, together with an optional backing track that has been saved to your device. You can then trim the video and save it to your device, or share it to social media or YouTube. I gave it a quick try and it seems to be very quick and easy to use. I have been working on my bass playing and have started to record videos to post to a FB bass group I belong to for feedback. This seems like very useful feature for doing that, BGU challenge submissions, or anything else in which a video would be handy.

uhm, this seems like a post that should have some video please :)

jporzelius

Blues Junior
also, glad to know that an update fixes the crashing with chord analysis. that has been a problem for me too. I will have to update the app.

thanks

sloslunas

NM Blues
I guess that I will never understand why people gravitate to these things that require such things. I just want to plug straight into an amp and just play. Years ago, I removed all computers from my music room. I quickly came to realize that they were nothing more than a huge distraction. YMMV

Steve

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I guess that I will never understand why people gravitate to these things that require such things. I just want to plug straight into an amp and just play. Years ago, I removed all computers from my music room. I quickly came to realize that they were nothing more than a huge distraction. YMMV

Steve

For me it's a learning tool that facilitates my ability to identify and focus my efforts. Last night, I was working on a particular lick for the HTI course that I was just having a particularly hard time counting. Since I have all of the lessons and backing tracks loaded up, I isolated and looped the portion of the backing track the 10 or 15 times that I needed to be able to play it through while counting it out loud correctly. Last week, I loaded up a Santana song that I have been working on and quickly isolated and looped the part of the solo and chord changes that I realized I had been playing incorrectly all this time because I had been relying on an inaccurate tab. Yes, I could have done that with just a regular amp and my wits (such as they are), but it was a heck of a lot faster with the technology. It's only a distraction if you make it one, but YMMV.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
For me it's a learning tool that facilitates my ability to identify and focus my efforts. Last night, I was working on a particular lick for the HTI course that I was just having a particularly hard time counting. Since I have all of the lessons and backing tracks loaded up, I isolated and looped the portion of the backing track the 10 or 15 times that I needed to be able to play it through while counting it out loud correctly. Last week, I loaded up a Santana song that I have been working on and quickly isolated and looped the part of the solo and chord changes that I realized I had been playing incorrectly all this time because I had been relying on an inaccurate tab. Yes, I could have done that with just a regular amp and my wits (such as they are), but it was a heck of a lot faster with the technology. It's only a distraction if you make it one, but YMMV.

I have really enjoyed your posts, especially about the Spark Amplifier. I believe that your comments and findings are extremely helpful to the community! (y) You do not have to post your discoveries, but you do! That is so thoughtful and generous of your time. Even though I do not presently own a Spark Amp, I find your comments very interesting. Here I sit, still pondering if in fact I will purchase a Spark Amp, or something else. :cry:

My attempt at rationalizing which amp to buy is between the simplicity of a good amp, like a Katana 100 mkii 12" or even the head, or the Spark. With the Katana, you have simplicity, with bells and whistles if you wish, and with the Spark, you can have that plus much more. The Spark has so many features, so many in fact, that I doubt the average owner will make use of all of them. But if you need those features, then the path is clear! :):cool::Beer:

Tom

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

I heartily agree. If I had not made a conscious effort to tightly integrate my computer(s) with my guitar learning, it's highly likely I would not have stayed with it. Even if I had, I certainly wouldn't be playing at the level I currently play at (advanced intermediate beginner). My computer has been the best learning tool I have ever used, but like any other tool, it works better if you know how it works and how it helps you achieve your goal (as opposed to just going down the rabbit hole).

Throughout my life, focusing on goals has not been something I'm really good at. All I'm trying to say is that I found something that works for me and has taken me far beyond anywhere I would have ever been if I just sat down with a music stand in front of me, with my Telecaster plugged into my Hot Rod Deluxe.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I like the idea of many parts of the spark amp and app. But im busy working on things that dont require any of that as of now.

Maybe when amp gets to v3.14 ...

Stinger22

Blues Junior

Steve

Don't confuse "you can do something" with "you have to do something". I just had the urge a little earlier sitting her in my living room, flipped the on switch on my Spark picked up the Tele and played. My tablet is back in the studio, don't need it. I have the four preset buttons on the amp but it was already on my Fender Deluxe on the edge preset and that's all I needed and it sounds GREAT. No different from plugging straight in.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have really enjoyed your posts, especially about the Spark Amplifier. I believe that your comments and findings are extremely helpful to the community! (y) You do not have to post your discoveries, but you do! That is so thoughtful and generous of your time. Even though I do not presently own a Spark Amp, I find your comments very interesting. Here I sit, still pondering if in fact I will purchase a Spark Amp, or something else. :cry:

My attempt at rationalizing which amp to buy is between the simplicity of a good amp, like a Katana 100 mkii 12" or even the head, or the Spark. With the Katana, you have simplicity, with bells and whistles if you wish, and with the Spark, you can have that plus much more. The Spark has so many features, so many in fact, that I doubt the average owner will make use of all of them. But if you need those features, then the path is clear! :):cool::Beer:

Tom

Thanks for the nice words, Tom.

Last edited:

Stinger22

Blues Junior
The app now allows you to record a video of yourself playing using either the front or back camera on your phone or tablet.

Except being retired at home I usually play in my underware without combing my hair................:eek:

Robb H

Blues Newbie
I'm liking these spark reviews as I have been wanting one but did wish to see something more than their own quick sales vid. I recently bought a used Peavey vypyr 3 for a decent price. It is much more than I need and I still haven't figured out exactly how to use it and the footswitch. Had I seen the spark before, that's what I would have spent my money on. Now I might just have to "add" on. Thank you.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Other than the fact that I haven't retired, I'm right there with you. As an added bonus, I also don't shave unless I have a zoom meeting scheduled!

You have reminded me that I have to shave! This is an attribute of retirement. :) I am sure that Gillette hates me, as they state that their blades should last one week, and they last me for three months! :cool:

Tom

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
The app requires your location to be turned on to pair, no other Bluetooth device I use, vehicles, streaming devices or computers have that requirement. After I set up the presets I uninstalled the app considering the features it has, beyond setting up the amp, I can replicate elsewhere without their need to access my personal information. It was really annoying the receive positive grid pop ups urging me to tell my friends about the discounted price and wanting access to my contacts. If they gave me the amp, like tech titans do with social media apps, I would give them access understanding the trade off. As a compact practice amp at a reasonable price point it really sounds nice and I am happy with it as hardware alone.

If you have Netflix suggest you watch The Social Dilemma.