A different approach

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I thought it was time to review SBS and this time I tried a different approach which worked really well for me. Instead of working through the roots by string, which makes you jump around the fretboard, I worked through the roots based on their fret position which had the additional benefit of matching the corresponding pentatonic box as follows:

Position 1 = 6th and 1st string root (in G fret 3) > Pentatonic box 1 (minor right facing, major left facing)
Position 2 = 4th string root (in G fret 5) > Pentatonic box 2 (minor right facing, major left facing)
Position 3 = 2nd string root (in G fret 8) > Pentatonic box 3 (minor right facing, major left facing)
Position 4 = 5th string root (in G fret 10) > Pentatonic box 4 (minor right facing, major left facing)
Position 5 = 3rd string root (in G fret 12 > Pentatonic box 5 (minor right facing, major left facing)

The advantage of this method is that it works its way up the fretboard as you would usually do in a solo and makes it easy to remember the corresponding pentatonic box. I also decided to review the corresponding solos after each section instead of at the end of the course. This helped me assimilate the major/minor mixing.

Tom Walsh

Blues Newbie
Whatever works for you is great. I just started giving the flash card app griff sent around a try. once you get a general familiarity with things I think it can accelerate your knowledge of where to go. Now actually playing cool licks once there is another matter

Paul W

Blues Newbie
Yeah - I came around to an idea like that through the 4 note solo. I just remember the lower octave of box 1 (right-facing minor, left-facing major) for every string, the lower octave of box 2 (right-facing major) and the lower octave of box 5 (left-facing minor).

You just start on your root on any string, choose major/minor and left-right face. Just remember to add a fret at the B string!

By the time I am done with the octave I have usually realized which box I am/should be in. Additionally, as mentioned above, you can start again at the top of that octave - unless you run out of strings or frets (I usually slide up on the b7 or 6).