5th string bar cords

henryj

Blues Newbie
In the video about 5th string bar cords Griffs talks about muting the 1st string on the C cord.  The tab in the book only has an x over the 6th string.  When Griff shows how to play the Cm and C7 he does not say anything about muting the 1st string.  Likewise these cords only have an X over the 6th string. Can some one explain this to me?  Why are we muting the first string on the C cord?

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
look at your book again for how to play the C...paage 28 is how you play a C7, both the high and low E are not struck, "regular" C on page 39 you do not strike the low E but you do strike the high E, on page 46 that is a barre C7. Does that help?

henryj

Blues Newbie
Page 46 the barre C cord is what I'm asking about.  Griff said to mute the 1st string.  LP posted a video that explaind that adding the 1st string makes it a 6th cord.  My cord charts also show the 1st string is played.  How would I know this if Griff wasn't here to tell me?

L

Lame_Pinky

Page 46 the barre C cord is what I'm asking about.  Griff said to mute the 1st string.  LP posted a video that explaind that adding the 1st string makes it a 6th cord.  My cord charts also show the 1st string is played.  How would I know this if Griff wasn't here to tell me?
You can always ask LP if Griff is busy  ;)

LP

L

Lame_Pinky

OK page 46 with the dots over the fretboard pics.That is showing you the placement of your fingers not showing a progression in TAB with muted oe unmuted strings.Many people (myself included) when learning the 5th string base root barre chords would not be able to get the 1st string to sound.It takes a bit of time to get your ring finger to get use to bending back (goes against nature) far enough to allow the 1st string to be played.This is how you play it to begin with, with the 1st not sounding until your finger adjusts then you can have the 1st sounding along with the others.

LP

henryj

Blues Newbie
This is how you play it to begin with, with the 1st not sounding until your finger adjusts then you can have the 1st sounding along with the others.

Thats my question.  In the video Griff said to mute it.

L

Lame_Pinky

You're going to make me watch the video now aren't you ?

LP

L

Lame_Pinky

Yes as Griff says mute it , to make it a 6th you add the 1st string on your ring finger barre so if playing a D on the 5th fret you would have index on the 5th string 5th fret & your ring finger would barre across the 4th, 3rd, 2nd & 1st string at the 7th fret > D6.

LP

wgabree

Blues Newbie
OK, watched that section.

First, the chord chart is correct - IF you played the first string as charted it would still be a C major chord.

Griff was pointing out that your third finger will tend to naturally mute the first by virtue of the fact that you won't be able to bend it back enough to allow the first string to ring out.

In fact, back in the day, I learned to make it ring out - and someday you may be able to as well.

Don't worry about it now.  That is what he is explaining.  That is why it is notated as not muted out but he says it's muted.

Make sense?

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Yes as Griff says mute it , to make it a 6th you add the 1st string on your ring finger barre so if playing a D on the 5th fret you would have index on the 5th string 5th fret & your ring finger would barre across the 4th, 3rd, 2nd & 1st string at the 7th fret > D6.

LP

Adding the first string does not make it a sixth - it's still just a major chord.  He is explaining a way to make it easier to play for beginners (bending the third finger back far enough to allow the barred first string to ring out is quite challenging!).

I didn't hear him mention anything about barring the 1st string with the third finger to make a 6th chord....maybe I have a different version of BBG or maybe I'm watching a different chapter.... I'm watching DVD 3, Root 5th Barre Chords

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Wayne, playing the C chord at the third fret and letting the first string ring, would cause you to play an A (1st string 5th fret) which is not part of the C major chord. Right? And adding an A would make it a 6th. I think.  :-/

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
If I understand correctly, the example LP gave using the fifth string D was to barre the 1st string with your ring finger to make it a D6 chord(as opposed to plain old D).  If you moved the same fingering up to the fifth string C you'd have a C6 chord.  Both remain fifth string barre chords, just no longer C or D, but C6 or D6 instead.  

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Wayne, playing the C chord at the third fret and letting the first string ring, would cause you to play an A (1st string 5th fret) which is not part of the C major chord. Right? And adding an A would make it a 6th. I think.  :-/

By letting it ring, I also meant it was fretted as the diagram shows:

x

In that case the note on the first string is G.  If fretted:

x

then you get a A on the first string, the 6th degree and thus you have a C 6th.  If you fretted:

x

then you would Bb, the flated seventh degree and you would have an C7.

Make sense?

wgabree

Blues Newbie
exactly - i don't think i saw the 6th chords covered in BGU, but i have been know to be mistaken before  ::)

I like to use this descending b7, 6, 5 of that shape along with similar run for the E shape bar (6th string root) to play the chorus of Jumping Jack Flash.  It's kind of bouncy so you don't need the 5th on the first string to ring in a sustaining fashion, so a little muting by the third finger doesn't have to get in the way of the fun!

L

Lame_Pinky

No I wasn't referring to something in BBG I was just mentioning it in passing that if you barred your ring finger & included the 1st string on same fret then you would have a 6th.Griff might mention it in the Blues Chords 101 that I posted in the " serious section "  ::)

LP

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yep, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that you pressed down with your ring finger across 4,3,2,and 1. As is was writing that earlier post, I was thinking " This is Wayne, he knows what he's talking about, you are probably just not understanding him". I should have listened to that little voice in my head. Thanks.

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
I think you confused the guy bec. he never came back to say he understood. Simply put, just follow the diagrams in the book, Griff was just giving an example for making it easier to mute if needed.