5MEBS - solo 4 observation

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
IMHO, this is one of the sweetest sounding solos Griff has done for us... Thank you Griff!

Anyone else finding that the tweedlie lick in bars 11 & 12 sounds just as good with a bend and pull off instead? I know I need to master the tweedlie stuff, but right now I'm just trying to sound reasonably good and find bending this lick far easier. Regardless, really having fun with this new course, I highly recommend it!
Mike

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
My suggestion is attempt to use the technique indicated but do not limit yourself! If you can play the piece correctly using another technique here or there then fine.  It is good to “Master” techniques, but use what you want when you feel it is appropriate. 

When learning techniques specific to a bar of music, it helps to isolate it and practice it as an aside.  Just consider it as a “warm up exercise”. 

Tom 

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
I don't have the course but I'm a little confused.  Isn't a "tweedlie" a hammer-on of the higher note followed by a pull-off back to the lower note? Do you mean a bend of the lower note to the higher note, followed by a release of the bend back to the lower note?  I'm not trying to nit-pick, just trying to clarify for anyone else reading your post.

I agree with you and Tom, there are often a lot of ways to skin the cat. 

If I'm struggling to get a full-step bend, I might alter the solo a tad to hammer the note a half-step up and then only bend the final half-step or I might do a full-step slide into the higher note instead.  Does it sound exactly the same?  No.  Does it sound similar and cool?  Yes.  You have to decide how "exact" you want be when playing a solo you are memorizing.

If a solo is hard to play in a particular box, you might also consider using a different box which contains the same notes at the same pitch. Bends on the high-e string in a minor box 2 can be played with the bends on the much softer B-string using the box 4 pattern a few frets higher up instead.  I find it easier to hit and sustain the proper pitch if I'm not fighting to do it.  As B.B. King says, "Why you wanna work that hard?"

Play what sounds cool to you and it will likely sound cool to others.  That's the important part.

I also agree with Tom... if there's something that can really only be played one way, work on it a little extra until it comes naturally.  Put some extra effort into playing tweedlies on the side and you'll think nothing of using them soon.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Mike...I agree about 5MEBS...got some great stuff in the course and I'm like you...always willing to "alter" the solos a bit...Griff gives us the base of the solo and the rest is up to us...nothing like having to many riffs in our pocket...my problem is more like lack of...later.

cowboy

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Gents, thanks for the feedback... Much appreciated!
Marv, sorry to confuse (you gotta understand that just over a year ago I was pretty dang sure I knew what a bar was and it had nothing to do with reading music ;) [smiley=beer.gif]!). All I was trying to convey that for me I found it much simpler to hit the 8th fret, then the tenth and do a bend and release... Produces just about the same sound and given my modest skills much easier.

The journey continues... Hanging out here and chatting with kindred souls makes it even more fun!
Best to all,
Mike

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Hey Mike,
I took a listen to this one after you mentioned it, and now I can't stop playing it!! Yes, it's a really sweet melody, with ample room for interpretation and expression.
The phrase in bar 12 could certainly be played as you suggest, and very commonly is, but it does sound a little bit different that way. As shown in the TAB, this is a very common motif in the blues, so it would be recommended to learn it as shown also. It is quite attainable at this speed with a little practice.  Using the one finger per fret "rule", the F# at the 11th fret should be played with the pinky, so this is an excellent opportunity to get that pinky in the act just in case you have been avoiding using it. Just play it very slowly until it feels good and you'll have it before you know it.
Good luck!
Tom

Lefty Jeff

A little blues rosetta
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I have to agree 100%.  This is my favorite Griff solo out of 'em all!