5 Easy Acoustic Blues Songs help with road song section 3

ChristopherBrunner

Blues Newbie
Hi I am having trouble playing the A7 and E7 chords in the third section of "Road Song". I can't hold down strings 1 and 2 together while playing the rest of the chord, there is no way I can bend my first finger backwards far enough to hold these strings down while playing the rest of the chord. Is anyone else having this problem?
Has anyone had this problem and solved it
Thanks
Chris

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Not sure about bending your first finger backward. :unsure:

Ouch!

Bending your finger back to "push" the strings down is more pressure than you need.

Just lay it flat with the pad across the top 2 strings for A and the top 3 for E.

Like you would for full barre chords but without needing the bottom strings.

I can remember as a beginner having trouble with an F chord in "open" position, holding down the top 2 strings with my first finger. o_O

It actually should be "easier" further up the neck. :giggle:

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
What Paleo said.

Also, you could bar across the top 3 or 4 strings with your index finger in either (or both!) chords, whatever is easier. When I do this, my index finger feels flat on the fretboard, not bent backwards. Maybe it would help to kind of roll your hand clockwise around the neck just a little. You might not need to keep your thumb smack in the center of the neck for these chords, either.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Ah, yes.

Placement of the thumb makes all the difference.

Mine’s over the top.

I could potentially play 4 A’s in the chord!

But at least mute the 6th string.

If I’m playing just the top strings with my thumb in the center of the back of the neck my 1st finger will be bent “backward”.

But with my thumb up over the neck that’s not even possible.

When you watch Griff demonstrate the A chord you can see his thumb “peeking” over the top of the neck.

You might also refer back to Section 1 where he first discusses the “barred” A chord at the very beginning, following the initial pick up.

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I had a badly dislocated index finger which will still not bend much. I tend to just bar all six strings. It's very difficult for me to use my index on the skinny strings when I use my thumb over the top for barre chords, so I have to make do the best I can. Practicing these chords over and over can loosen and relax your hand until it becomes more natural.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Not sure about bending your first finger backward. :unsure:

Ouch!

Bending your finger back to "push" the strings down is more pressure than you need.

Just lay it flat with the pad across the top 2 strings for A and the top 3 for E.

Like you would for full barre chords but without needing the bottom strings.

I can remember as a beginner having trouble with an F chord in "open" position, holding down the top 2 strings with my first finger. o_O

It actually should be "easier" further up the neck. :giggle:
Paleo, what position (open or some other) are you referring to? In open position, I don't bend a finger backwards when playing A7 or E7. When I play an A at 2nd fret, I do bend my ring finger back just because it is easier on that finger than on the index finger. By easier I mean my ring finger is more flexible than any other on my fretting hand.

F chord at open position (index on top 2 strings) is one most strugle with, myself included. Practice, practice and practice with just index finger on strings 1 & 2 and then when you have that down, add middle finger on string 3 is what worked for me.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Paleo, what position (open or some other) are you referring to?
The position used at the beginning of Section 3.

Check out the top of page 8 in the manual, measure 2.

"Open F" shape, 5th position, with open 5th/A string.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
The position used at the beginning of Section 3.

Check out the top of page 8 in the manual, measure 2.

"Open F" shape, 5th position, with open 5th/A string.
Thanks for the reference. That should not require bending the first (index) finger back to play A7 at 5th position. I don't get why ChristopherBrunner is having difficulty playing that shape. Same as playing "F" at 1st position with index finger on Top 2 Strings. Or am I missing something?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi I am having trouble playing the A7 and E7 chords in the third section of "Road Song". I can't hold down strings 1 and 2 together while playing the rest of the chord, there is no way I can bend my first finger backwards far enough to hold these strings down while playing the rest of the chord. Is anyone else having this problem?
Has anyone had this problem and solved it
Thanks
Chris
Chris, Can you shoot a little phone video to show us the issue that you are having?
It might also help if you can tell us which bar on which page in the manual. Are you talking about bars 2 & 3 on page 8?
Here's how I play the chords at the top of page 8. No need to bend fingers backward at all.

Let me know if you need more help.

ChristopherBrunner

Blues Newbie
Thanks everyone for your input. I was trying to play the A7 chord like Griff does in the video, but it seems this isn't for me. After reading the replies to my question I worked out if I just bar across all six strings with my first finger I can play this chord. Now I just have to practice
Thanks
Chris

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
There are often little situations like that where, for whatever physical reason, the way I do something or the "normal way" isn't going to work for you. It sounds like you've found a workaround, but don't be afraid to use it. Modify things early and often as needed :)

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
WELL ChristopherBrunner it is March 7 2023 was wondering how it was going with it for you now. I play it all the way though and then not the last chord and back to the second part to the end and stop and not the chord then but to the beginning and the end of the first part then the chord to end here.

ChristopherBrunner

Blues Newbie
Hi JackRunnels I have got the A7 chord sorted but I'm still having trouble with the E7 chord. I think that a few more weeks practice should sort that out.

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
ChristopherBrunner
Well I use to bend finger and apply it to chords with lots of pressure. I now use less pressure and dont bend knuckle and press hard. I lay finger on the fret and hold down with less pressure down. I still bent the 3rd Knuckle back on the chords on 5th string chords but just to clear the first string without pressure down on the 2nd 3rd 4th strings to play the cord. I know this sounds silly but in time this will be normal with less pain in the thumb and wrist while playing guitar. I know this sounds crazy but just hold string down enough to make a note all up and down the neck. Asfor E7 chord use the 1-3-4 fingers. On A7 I use 1-2-3 fingers. Play the A7 chord on 3 ex1 then keep 1 and 3rd fingers in place but slide up to E7 on the 7th fret and switch from 2nd to 3rd finger to 3rd and 4th fingers. Back 2 D7 and 1 in place but 1st string with 2nd finger. First finger just laying on the 5 strings but touching the 6th string to silent it so to speak. Hope the helps and makes since lol.

Last edited: