36 Years Today

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Just wanted to post a big pat on the back for myself as today marks 36 years of sobriety!
I still can't believe how much my life changed for the better once I decided to put the bottle down and start living an alcohol and drug free life.

That's all.
Just wanted to say that.

Carry on!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Congratulations! :) It is a wise man that does what is best for himself!

I lost my father and brother due to Dementia, caused by excessive alcohol consumption.

Tom

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
And still not smoking?

Still not smoking (thanks for asking).

443 days and still counting!
(I have a quit smoking app that keeps track).

The thing that blows me away is how many cigarettes I HAVEN'T smoked since I quit which as of today is: 8,842!

Holy smokes! (pun intended)

I still crave one once in a while but that's happening less and less.

One day at a time!

Silicon Valley Tom

I tried smoking on three separate occasions and will never forget each experience!

At ages 3, 10 and 17, I attempted to smoke a cigarette. After a few puffs, I got dizzy, ended up lying on the floor, and lost my stomach. I think that was one way to learn not to smoke. I am just sorry it took me three attempts.

Tom

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Saw this thread the other day, and keep thinking about it. It'd take both hands to count the number of relatives I have that have tried to get clean and couldn't do it. What you have done the last 36 years is absolutely amazing! You have my utmost respect and admiration for what you've managed to achieve.

Since it would be really awkward to give you the raised beer emoji in this thread, here's a coffee raised in your honor. May you see only continued success! :coffee:

Silicon Valley Tom

Saw this thread the other day, and keep thinking about it. It'd take both hands to count the number of relatives I have that have tried to get clean and couldn't do it. What you have done the last 36 years is absolutely amazing! You have my utmost respect and admiration for what you've managed to achieve.

Since it would be really awkward to give you the raised beer emoji in this thread, here's a coffee raised in your honor. May you see only continued success! :coffee:
I must admit that it is difficult for me to use the beer emoji since I have read JP's accomplishment. I am going to look for a tea cup emoji, but it must have a handle! I gave up coffee! :)

Also let it be known that never, will I drink tea with milk! :eek:

Tom

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist

I must admit that it is difficult for me to use the beer emoji since I have read JP's accomplishment. I am going to look for a tea cup emoji, but it must have a handle! I gave up coffee! :)

Also let it be known that never, will I drink tea with milk! :eek:

Tom

Thanks for the kind words and support!

FWIW, I have no problem with the raised beer emoji as I use it myself quite often.
Just because I raise a glass doesn't mean I drink from it (as I've done at many wedding receptions and other events where champagne glasses are served).

As for getting others clean, don't waste your time.
No one can take that step until and unless they are ready to do it themselves.

It took me three cracks at AA before I had any real success because I was doing it to either prove I could, or so that someone would get off my back, or to just get other to shut up and stop nagging me about it.

None of that worked until one day I just realized that I couldn't live the life I was living anymore and that alcohol and drugs were winning and I simply surrendered and said "I can't beat you -- you win". After that happened, the world opened up -- the REAL world -- and I've never looked back and it wasn't long before I didn't miss the "old world" at all.

It's OK to keep trying with those friends and loved ones but don't expect any miracles until they're ready.

One day at a time! :Beer: ;)

P.S. I don't use cream in tea or coffee.
Just sugar.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Thanks for the kind words and support!

FWIW, I have no problem with the raised beer emoji as I use it myself quite often.
Just because I raise a glass doesn't mean I drink from it (as I've done at many wedding receptions and other events where champagne glasses are served).

As for getting others clean, don't waste your time.
No one can take that step until and unless they are ready to do it themselves.

It took me three cracks at AA before I had any real success because I was doing it to either prove I could, or so that someone would get off my back, or to just get other to shut up and stop nagging me about it.

None of that worked until one day I just realized that I couldn't live the life I was living anymore and that alcohol and drugs were winning and I simply surrendered and said "I can't beat you -- you win". After that happened, the world opened up -- the REAL world -- and I've never looked back and it wasn't long before I didn't miss the "old world" at all.

It's OK to keep trying with those friends and loved ones but don't expect any miracles until they're ready.

One day at a time! :Beer: ;)

P.S. I don't use cream in tea or coffee.
Just sugar.
KUDOS to you JP! That is an amazing feat. I have not ever criticized anyone for trying and not being successful at quitting. As you have experienced, the waking moment is one that only comes when the individual makes that choice. For me, I did have an occasional adult beverage until one of my meds made a very strongly suggestion that the two do not mix. I now have developed a taste for Vanilla Chai. Heart healthy and I like the taste. No caffeine and no sugar. Also, it has been over 50 years since quitting smokes.