Electric Guitars 3-way switch question

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Question for everyone today. On your non-Strat/Tele guitars that have a 3-way switch, does the treble position sometimes cut out on you? It seems like on all of mine (LP/335/339/Gretsch/Epi/Gibson/Dano - the Parker may be the exception) that have a 2 pup setup and use that same kind of toggle switch, the neck and middle positions never have a problem, but, if I flip it to the bridge-only position, I often have to flip the switch several times to get it to not sound all crackly or to get it to engage in the first place.

I'm guessing that it's doing this because, up until recently, on those guitars, I've used the neck or middle positions exclusively. Now I'm trying to use the bridge more, and some days it's almost maddening because the switch seems to be on the fritz every time I flip to it. And it seems to be this way on most all my guitars setup that way.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone (whether you have the problem or not) have any ideas on how to fix it without replacing the switches?

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Nope no issues. Sometimes I need to rotate the vol and tone knobs to get them to not go crackly. Try switch cleaner. Spray the switch and then switch it a few times. Probably has dust in there.

cheers

Al.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I think I've got a can out in the garage. I'll give that a shot.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Never had that problem ... most likely because every guitar I have that had a 3-way blade switch has been converted to a 4-way switch. :):):)

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Yeah, the cleaner would be the way to go. BTW, with any guitar you have that has a 3-way toggle switch (not a blade switch), you should leave it in the middle position if you're not going to use if for a length of time. It's the only position where the contacts aren't being bent.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Have several guitars with a 3 way switch. Never had that problem.

Try cleaning them, if that doesn't work, swap out the switch. They're cheap enough.

Pegasus

Blues Newbie
Hi, Had the same problem on my Gretsch hollowbody. Repeatedly switching and spraying with contact cleaner did not fix. Removed the switch (again) and carefully cleaned contacts using 400 wet and dry, have not had an issue since (nearly 10 yeas now). Hope this helps, Ross

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
When they are that far gone, replacement is the best solution. You can try the cleaner, Just be careful to get the correct kind.