1x12

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
I happened to see a bit of Steve Trovato's course on Youtube, I'm curious to learn more about the 1x12 concept he alluded to, anyone work with this part of the course?

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
basically the 1 x 12 concept is taking one lick and using it throughout the 12 bars ... so you have a 4 bar lick and play it with slight variations 3 times to cover the progression ... this thread is about the BBBS course http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1444681842/8#8
Actually it pertains to playing each lick in all 12 Keys (A through G#). This is why on many of the licks he has a second 12 bar ditty in a different Key with another recording and the written music example.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Actually it pertains to playing each lick in all 12 Keys (A through G#). This is why on many of the licks he has a second 12 bar ditty in a different Key with another recording and the written music example.

I agree with Susan on this one...

"basically the 1 x 12 concept is taking one lick and using it throughout the 12 bars ... so you have a 4 bar lick and play it with slight variations 3 times to cover the progression"

Steve explains his 1X12 concept at 7:30 in the first example (1.1) on DVD1. I would add that some of the licks can be repeated three times over 12 bars without variation. I found that it often sounds better if you repeat the lick twice and then add a variation (or another lick that fits) for the last 4 bars.

As you say, he does sometimes play the licks in other keys to show that they can be easily transposed. Playing them in all 12 keys might be a good exercise but many of these keys are seldom used in the blues.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I agree with Susan on this one...

"basically the 1 x 12 concept is taking one lick and using it throughout the 12 bars ... so you have a 4 bar lick and play it with slight variations 3 times to cover the progression"

Steve explains his 1X12 concept at 7:30 in the first example (1.1) on DVD1. I would add that some of the licks can be repeated three times over 12 bars without variation. I found that it often sounds better if you repeat the lick twice and then add a variation (or another lick that fits) for the last 4 bars.

As you say, he does sometimes play the licks in other keys to show that they can be easily transposed. Playing them in all 12 keys might be a good exercise but many of these keys are seldom used in the blues.
I'll have to listen to that discussion again. I'm not going to fall on my sword over this but I will listen with your point in mind. 1x12 referring to 12 measures doesn't make a lot of sense to me as these licks are all longer then 1 measure. And then you add different rests and other subtle differences within the 12 bars for the riff to fit in with the chord changes.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
1x12 referring to 12 measures doesn't make a lot of sense to me as these licks are all longer then 1 measure. And then you add different rests and other subtle differences within the 12 bars for the riff to fit in with the chord changes.
The key is to fit the three licks into 12 bars of music (or the pocket as Steve says). If you refer to the music notation for the first lick (example 1) you can see that the lick starts after the 2nd beat and takes up about 3 bars with every 4th bar being pretty much a breathing space. I agree that Steve's labelling of this concept is a bit confusing... I think something like 3X12 makes more sense.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The key is to fit the three licks into 12 bars of music (or the pocket as Steve says). If you refer to the music notation for the first lick (example 1) you can see that the lick starts after the 2nd beat and takes up about 3 bars with every 4th bar being pretty much a breathing space. I agree that Steve's labelling of this concept is a bit confusing... I think something like 3X12 makes more sense.
Yes, I've been working on DVD 3 and 4 these past few days and will get back to DVD 1 and 2 later. Maybe in a day or two. I understand your point and know what to look for. thanks.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I found that it often sounds better if you repeat the lick twice and then add a variation (or another lick that fits) for the last 4 bars.
Try playing example 1.3 two times and end with example 1.6 the third time. There are a lot of other ideas that work like example 1.1/1.8 or 1.1/1.10 (transposed from C to A).

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
When I was working on DVD 2 I just went ahead and did the first 3 licks in order within the format. I think that is another idea that Steve eluded too when he got to the end of the section. To mix and match. I think it also helps in remembering them.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I finally got back to watching the DVD 1 again. After using the DVD many times in the first go through, I don't always go back to the DVD. I frequently just do the book because its a more efficient use of time. Anyway, yes, at the end of example 1.1 he does discuss the 1x12 concept as you have outlined. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup: