100 Greatest Guitar Solos of all Time

chemeagle

Blues Newbie
For those that also bought the Hal Leonard book, the Layla solo (Page 170) is tabbed with first string frets in the 27-34 fret range. What is that about? Are there guitars with that many frets or is it pedal that would go that high in pitch? I have 22 frets and pretty sure I can’t bend to 27. Thanks.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
That's hilarious. Clearly somebody was listening to the Chipmonks' version of Layla, and tabbed it out for Soprano Guitar.
I've got a couple of transcriptions of Layla and none of them goes higher than the 18th fret.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
That's hilarious. Clearly somebody was listening to the Chipmonks' version of Layla, and tabbed it out for Soprano Guitar.
I've got a couple of transcriptions of Layla and none of them goes higher than the 18th fret.

I think Duane's slide makes it sound higher...;)
Now that I posted that, Duane's slide on the outro actually sounds like he is past the fret board. I have seen it done that way. Hmmm...

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I think Duane's slide makes it sound higher...
That's exactly what it is. If you look at the start time (2:18) and listen from there, those parts that show frets up past the end of the fretboard are the slide parts that are well above the 21st or 22nd fret. In fact, if you look at the music and not the tab, the entire solo is played 2 octaves above what is written (that's what the 15ma means). So that entire solo is played well up (and above) the teeny, tiny frets. That's also why there's a little note that says the fret locations are hypothetical...they're not necessarily there, but are based on where they would be played if they were.