10" vs 12" speakers...

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I'm thinking of getting a new amp... something fairly light and easy to carry that sounds great and is cheap! ;-)

So I came hear to ask you gear experts... how much of a difference, sound wise, is there between a 10" and a 12" speaker?

I've always favored a 12" speaker but I'm not sure I actually know why or how much difference there really is between the 12 and the 10.

I may be looking at a used amp soon. It has a 10 " speaker...

I'd love to hear what y'all think.

Thanks!

artyman

Fareham UK
Well the new Katana Mk2 have recently been released so there may be some Katana Mk1's on the secondhand market shortly if people upgrade, so I can recommend a Katana 50 it's an awesome sounding amp, sports a 12" speaker. I love mine. It's attraction to me was it is 2/3rd the weight of my Fender Mustang III

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for the responses gents...

I am gassing for a new amp. I have never played a Quilter Mach 2 or a Roland Blues Cube and thought I would take a look at them. Though there are a couple of dealers around, nobody has them in stock... then I stumble upon a used Quilter Mach 2 with a 10" speaker.

I am not any kind of an amp expert, at all but... I have only had 12" speakers and thought they were the norm. I have not seen the Mach 2 yet but it appears to be in excellent shape. The panel looks different than the current Mach 2 panel so it may be old. The owner does not know how old it is.

I am planning to go look at the amp and just wondering if the 10" speaker has drawbacks.

Thanks again!

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Personally, I've always thought that 10" speakers worked better in pairs or half-stacks.
But for a single speaker setup, I think 12" speakers are generally fuller-sounding and can be driven harder.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks for the responses gents...

I am gassing for a new amp. I have never played a Quilter Mach 2 or a Roland Blues Cube and thought I would take a look at them. Though there are a couple of dealers around, nobody has them in stock... then I stumble upon a used Quilter Mach 2 with a 10" speaker.

I am not any kind of an amp expert, at all but... I have only had 12" speakers and thought they were the norm. I have not seen the Mach 2 yet but it appears to be in excellent shape. The panel looks different than the current Mach 2 panel so it may be old. The owner does not know how old it is.

I am planning to go look at the amp and just wondering if the 10" speaker has drawbacks.

Thanks again!
I traveled to find a Quilter I could try.
I was very impressed.
Very portable, light weight and great tone.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got 2-12 and 2-10 inch cabs in my wall of Blackheart. Since they're in my wall of Blackheart, I can easily swap between heads and cabs and actually A/B some things on them. The only thing I've noticed on them is that the 12s can get a little boomy if I don't adjust the bass on them where the 10s don't seem to have that problem. That could be the speaker or the cab or any number of things going on though, but I notice it with both the 5w and 15w amps. So long as I remember to dial back the bass tone control a bit, it's fine.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have been on the Quilter Owners group on Facebook for over two years. The general consensus there is that the absolute best sounding MicroPro setup is an 8" combo with a standard 12" extension cabinet. Go figger. But that's what they say.

I went for the HD 12" combo with an HD 12" extension. The HD speakers supposedly cut a little better than the standard 12's but I wouldn't know 'cause I've never heard the standard 12's. All I know is that my Quilter setup makes me grin ear to ear.

There are people on that Owners' Group who have tried everything under the sun. Four 10's, two 10's, just about every speaker that will take 100 watts, different cabinets, you think it up, someone on there has done it. I have never seen anyone on there saying "Damn, this sucks". Quite the opposite. Apparently anything you can dream up that will handle 100 watts sounds great. Do they sound different? Probably. But the take-away from all I have seen is that all of those ideas sound GOOD. The Quilter amp is its own thing. It reacts to different speakers much differently than a tube amp. Please don't ask me to explain how or why.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I was of the opinion that 12's produced a fuller sound than 10's. And then I listened to Griff and others, read publications etc. My opinion has not necessarily changed for a single speaker driver combo or cab. I am more accepting of at least duel 10" speaker drivers in a double speaker combo or cab may produce an awesome sound. :thumbup: :Beer: