10/22 fix it for snarf

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I never think about the fix-it sessions until it's the day of, so I'm posting this before I forget. Still not recording it on an acoustic because something always seems to be going in the house (the a/c, the washer or dryer, the dishwasher, etc) that you can always hear in the background. This morning it's the dishwasher...which is all the way across the frickin' house, but you can still hear it on the mic.

Anyways, took some of the suggestions that I got from the gang after I posted it in the other thread back in like August. Figured I was leaving in all the warts (like that note I left just hanging out there - you won't miss it), and I'm not going to detail all the stuff I hear wrong with it. Except that I looped the accompaniment and then played that back to solo, so it has a bit of an abrupt start. The rest of the warts are all there...including the out of time ending (with apologies to Mr Basie who I'm sure cringed when I played it). But I'm not listing out the other stuff.

Posting it now to be sure that I have something posted for the fix-it session this month. It goes verse (the loop), solo1, solo2, verse (the loop again), Basie ending. If I re-record it between now and the 22nd, I'll just edit the link.

Apologies for the tome above. Here's the link.

Nobody Knows You

Elwood

Blues
very nice. play the box man. The dishwasher, dogs, tv, wife, those are effects, folks pay for that. Real nice job.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
That was real good Snarf!! I'd be more than happy with the quality of the recording. Well done.(y)

Jack

Blues Junior
That was really, really nice! Very much enjoyed it! My only suggestion would be to try and get the lead separated from the rhythm a bit more, maybe duplicate the rhythm track and and pan the two tracks out to the sides while putting the lead in the center, or just increase the volume on the lead a little bit. Of course if the rhythm was on acoustic and the lead was on electric, that would take care of it too :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I never think about the fix-it sessions until it's the day of, so I'm posting this before I forget. Still not recording it on an acoustic because something always seems to be going in the house (the a/c, the washer or dryer, the dishwasher, etc) that you can always hear in the background. This morning it's the dishwasher...which is all the way across the frickin' house, but you can still hear it on the mic.

Anyways, took some of the suggestions that I got from the gang after I posted it in the other thread back in like August. Figured I was leaving in all the warts (like that note I left just hanging out there - you won't miss it), and I'm not going to detail all the stuff I hear wrong with it. Except that I looped the accompaniment and then played that back to solo, so it has a bit of an abrupt start. The rest of the warts are all there...including the out of time ending (with apologies to Mr Basie who I'm sure cringed when I played it). But I'm not listing out the other stuff.

Posting it now to be sure that I have something posted for the fix-it session this month. It goes verse (the loop), solo1, solo2, verse (the loop again), Basie ending. If I re-record it between now and the 22nd, I'll just edit the link.

Apologies for the tome above. Here's the link.

Nobody Knows You

Wow! Warts? Where? That was amazing! I really like the percussive strokes too. I wish I could play like that.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Thanks for the kind comments, y'all! I've been playing it off and on since the first of August, so, if y'all aren't hearing the stuff I'm hearing, maybe I've played it enough to smooth the big problems out. I still wince several times listening to this recording. I guess I'm still hearing what I want it to sound like in my head, so the little problems are now what I'm hearing. My timing drifts a bit in a few spots and some of the double-stops don't sound very double to me. Then there's that one note that I didn't get muted and is just kind of sitting there getting lonely or something.

Now I need to start working on lyrics for it. For some reason, there are a couple of the lines that I just can't seem to get right.