What's your favorite strings?

upnorthdoug

Blues Newbie
As a beginner guitar player for the past 20 years, I've always used GHS Boomers. I think I use them because a friend a long time ago recommended them. I'm looking to branch out in my string selections, but I get overwhelmed at the wall of strings at my local guitar retailer. What brands do you like?

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Ernie Ball regular slinkys (10's)...

ditto on these...but been playing with these...

http://www.stringdog.net/index.html

...haven't made up my mind yet...anyway, strings ain't the problem...later.

cowboy

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
I used GHS Boomers for quite a few years - I changed to Ernie Ball and like them better - I also use the new Ernie Ball "cobalt" and they're *great* (but twice as much money).

So - count me as a vote for Ernie Ball!

Kevin

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Ernie Ball 9's or 10's.  Doesn't make much difference to me.  I just grab a package.  I'm colorblind, so they all look the same.

E

elpee

prefer  GHS Nickel Rockers 008 - 038. - but gotta try the Rev. Willy's 007's someday !

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm in the GHS camp, love the boomers, don't play strings because some one else likes them, play what feel and sound good to you, that's not to say you shouldn't try many that have been suggested until you find your own feel and tone

JoeK0519

Blues Newbie
As a beginner guitar player for the past 20 years, I've always used GHS Boomers. I think I use them because a friend a long time ago recommended them. I'm looking to branch out in my string selections, but I get overwhelmed at the wall of strings at my local guitar retailer. What brands do you like?

I feel your pain.  There are way too many choices.
I usually bounce between the boomers and the slinkies.
Last christmas, Santa left a pack of cleartones in my stocking.
Very good strings, stayed bright and in tune for about 6 months, but cost as much as 2 or3 sets of the usuals.

upnorthdoug

Blues Newbie
Looks like I'll be trying the Slinkys. I might even pick up a pack of the cobalts. It'll be interesting to hear how they compare to the boomers.

Thanks for all the replies!

Strick

Blues Newbie
I've got a 12 pack of Fender super bullets light.  They came with my Strat when I bought it last year.  They were part of the deal.  They seem to work just fine for me. Then again, just about any quality string will probably sound good through a Strat and a Fender reverb, but I probably don't have the ear you guys have, yet.